Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Questions for paint guys

Questions for paint guys

In March I am going to do my first paint job myself and I have been looking for a gun but I am not sure what to really look for other than the gun looking or feeling cheap. I am looking at spending around a $100.00 or so for a good gun. Does anybody know of a few good brands and/or model I can look for?
    I am in Lowell, Indiana<br />Building an 88 Fiero GT with a 93 STS Northstar and 5 speed Getrag. <br />Custom Mr. Mikes interior, Norms fiberglass nose and custom paint.

Re: Questions for paint guys

I hate to say this, but the generic HVLP gun I got from HarborFreight for $65 seems to work just fine. It's made in China & it actually has a nice chrome/purple anodized finish too. So far I have only used it for primer & lacquer top coats.

Well I am looking at a few guns:
    1.) Devilbiss
    2.) Accuspray
    3.) Titan
    4.) Binks
    5.) Sharpe

And I also am not sure what type of guns are better for what? I heard a gravity feed gun is better for met. and pearls? And a bottom feed is better for thicker apps like primer?
    I am in Lowell, Indiana<br />Building an 88 Fiero GT with a 93 STS Northstar and 5 speed Getrag. <br />Custom Mr. Mikes interior, Norms fiberglass nose and custom paint.

I have a Sharpe HVLP top loader that is the best gun I ever used. It is easy to clean and I have had it for years and still works as it did when new but it was over $400.00 new. I have used Devilbiss but in my opinion they did not work near as good as my Sharpe. I even bought a Devibiss air compressor and it did not last a month and it broke. I fixed it but it has never worked very good, my old black max believe it or not will not die it is awesome I have used it for I guess 15 years now; go figure it was bought at Sam's

$400 is a bit much for a gun I am only going to use maybe on 30 cars and about 100 times on other items and parts. Do you know of another gun they make that is a little lower in cost. I was looking at spending about $150 maybe a little more?

Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

So what is the big difference between a good gun and a cheap one? I did a search on Ebay yesterday and I am finding guns by those names I listed going from $20 to $400.

the addage "you get what you pay for" is very true when it comes to refinish guns, as far as brand names goes , every painter i have ever used swears by a particular make, and i've come to the conclusion that is a bit like a shotgun , if it feels comfortable and performs as you want it to, then its the gun for you!, but i digress, The reason that the pro's spend 400 - 800 bucks on a gun is "consistency" and life expectancy. If you plan to paint 5 cars in your lifetime then a $75 gun will work great , but if you plan painting 6 cars a day, with color changes/flushes then $75 buck gun will be dead in a matter of days, and you just cannot afford to have your best painter sitting down drinking coffee whilst you get him a replacement!!!.

Personally I use a Binks and love it, but then it was a gift from a painter buddy who swears devilbiss are the dogs danglies and could not get along with the binks.

As far as gravity or siphon , I prefer gravity , particularly with HVLP, besides the cup does not get in the way when doing roofs and rocker panels.

I like the shotgun addage. An experianced shooter could still do well with a lesser gun,but better with his own. Bobby,look for a used gun that a Pro wants to sell,A lot of times,we like to upgrade

Bondobob I don't live down by you anymore but I would like to ask you a few questions about setting up a paint booth, can you e-mail me when you have time please.

Also, I have desided spraying a candy on my first or second car is a bit risky. I did hear about DuPonts new Hot Hues, has anybody used it or seen it sprayed or on a car yet?
    I am looking for something a bit different but a candy or even a 3 stage pearl might be a bit much to start off with.

As far as guns go I have a guy that told me this kit or package was a copy of a high dollar gun, can't remember the name of it right now. But its close enough where the parts even were enterchangable? He has had a few painters buy them and like them alot, and the price is good. He said it has a 80% to 90% material rating?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...e=STRK:MEWA:IT