Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: transmission question

transmission question

hey guys, does the 4 speed out of 84 bolt diretly to a 3800 s/c?, i'm going with 3800 s/c and the donor has a 4 speed, what would it take to do this?, is this a good setup?.
    any help or link would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks.
    Flo

Re: transmission question

Yes it does, but that's the extent of my help. :shrug: If you have not been there, try www.fiero.nl or www.l67swap.com Look up Darth Fiero for good info.

Good luck.

Bob
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

The transaxle will bolt up but I think you will find it will not take the power the 3800 SC will put to the old 4 speed transaxle.

Since you are going to have to make a custom flywheel, install a new heavy duty clutch and pressure plate, throw out bearing, special engine mounts, custom exhaust etc. Why not go the extra step and locate a Getrag 5 Speed. It will take just about anything you can toss at it.

It is almost like stepping over a $5 bill on the side walk to pick up a penny.

just my $.02 worth on the topic. There are plenty of posts on the topic on this site if you dig a little bit.

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

dave i see exactly what you saying, you are right, but it is a long story my firts donor was 86 2.8 with auto trany, them i found a chassis already strech so i bought it, the chassis is from a 87 gt wish a;ready is set for a manual transmission( din't come with the trans just the chassis) so there i went again for the hunt of a manual trany fiero, found 84, bought it and never pick it up (i was not ready for it so i keep it where it was) now i'm ready for it went and got it just to find out it is a 4 speed , now here i'm with two 1/2 Fiero and still don't know what to do, that's why i'm here if you guys think my best bet will be going with 5 speed getrag, i'll go and get one fron the junk, i just dont want to keep buying Fieros( the wife is not to happy with all this junk in the front yard ??? i don't know why????).
    i still will like to use the 84 for the rest of my build, if i can find wish transmission to get and stiil use the axles from it.
    can you please tell me what car i can get one from( just the trany out of junk yard) and still use the rest of the stuf from that 84 Fiero????.
    please i need some help on this.
    regards.
    Flo

Flo:

It seems to me if you are going to build a car that is stretched, use the frame that is done. I would put the running gear from the 86 automatic into the stretched chassis. It is simple to do if you just drop out and swap the entire engine on the engine cradle. Transfer the automatic shifter and cables along with the computer and you are almost done unless you just have to have a 5-speed that is.

Dave

thanks guys,
    i will like to have manual transmission, in the other hand my nephew is in love with the automatic one so i'm planing on give it to him, just one more question, would any 5 speed getrag will work? i'm getting a 5 speed just don't know what to get ???.
    thanks again, and sorry for buging so mouch.
    Flo

Flo:

The Getrag you should get is Model Number 282.* They were in 86.5 and 88 Fiero’s.* You can use a Getrag 284 out of a Lumina but you will need to get the parts from Rodney Dickman to set it up for a Fiero.* There may be others but someone else will have to get the details for you.

A good 282 Getrag will normally sell for $600 used.* Again Rodney Dickman has rebuild parts for the transaxle.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by FunnyWheels
    Flo:

The Getrag you should get is Model Number 282.* They were in 87.5 and 88 Fiero’s.* You can use a Getrag 284 out of a Lumina but you will need to get the parts from Rodney Dickman to set it up for a Fiero.* There may be others but someone else will have to get the details for you.

A good 282 Getrag will normally sell for $600 used.* Again Rodney Dickman has rebuild parts for the transaxle.

Dave
    Getrag was available in some 86 v6 fieros.* Only the later part of the model year.* All 87 and 88 v6 cars equiped with a manual trans had a getrag.*

The getrag 284 is a completely different beast than a 282.* A 284 was offered with the DOHC 3400 and uses i different style clutch.* The FWD 282 is what rodney sells parts for.* He doesn't sell rebuild kits for them.* He only sells the parts to use a FWD 282 in a fiero.* You can get a 282 out of any FWD v6 equiped GM car in the late 80's into the early 90's.*

10-4 on the years. I mistyped it. I based my response upon his thinking of using a DOHC V6 or a V8 in the car and could use the 284 if he used the proper clutch. Modifications will be necessary to the linkage in order to hook up the shifter cables.

When I referred to Rodney's rebuild stuff, I am referring to the bearings and seals where the axles go into the transaxle etc. I do not believe he sells gears or syncros but he may know where to acquire them.

In my opinion, I believe the best bet will be to get what came in the Fiero (Getrag 282) and build from there.

Dave

thanks guys, i just pick one out today, out of a local junk yard,i can't belive it was lees then 3 miles from my house , i didn't even know that place was there, it came out of a 87 fiero so no hassel with the bearings, just the cluch and modify fly weel.
    thanks again.
    Flo