Thread: Rear tires

Rear tires

I have a Fiero based replica ferrari, not stretched, I keep wearing out rear tires. The tread wears quickly, and evenly. The size: 245x50x16- W rate. Is this typical, since tha engine is over the rear? The current pair have only 3000 miles on them, and the tread is barely inspectable.

Re: Rear tires

Check your alignment sounds like itís off.

If the tread wears evenly then most likely it is not the alignment. Check the brand of the tires, Because many low profile tires avarage 10,000-15,000 miles (not like regular tires). Then I would check the brakes and the hub to make sure they are moving freely. And if all of that is good then I recommend welding a plate under the gas peddle so you can't floor the gas as often . But on the serious not check the brakes and the hubs and mke sure they move freely.

Are the same tires in front as the rear? What is the height difference between the front and rear? How are the front tires wearing? If you start with 10/32 in front and rear but have only 4/32 in the rear and 7/32 in front, then you are definately enjoying your drives! Performance tires are terrible for wear, and abuse makes them a yearly replacement item.

Senior Member ITALIANKNIGHTRIDER's Avatar

Check the toe in -toe out link bar on the back of the hub an spindle if it is a 84-87 they are letting the tires move back an forth to much while traveling an wearing out the tires
    In the USA if you pay a company / person to start a plug, then it,s your plug and work ,it is not theirs to sell or trade !!

Sounds like the tire compound is just a little soft... maybe change tire brands, see if they last longer... or you could have the same problem as me; Lead foot disorder. ;D

I agree with ItalianKnightRider: (BTW: What is up with that name? shouldn't it be Italian Night Rider?)

Check the toe in -toe out link bar on the back of the hub an spindle if it is a 84-87 they are letting the tires move back an forth to much while traveling an wearing out the tires.

You need to keep the rear end of a Fiero basically flat. A 1 inch anti-sway bar works best to accomplish this. You will also need to upgrade the front anti-sway bar if you use the big boy on the rear. The car in its current condition should wander a little with minor bumps in the road surface if you hold the steering wheel steady. The condition is called "Bump Steer" and is correctable by making the suspension stiffer.

Just another opinion from Florida.

Dave

If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

I have had experience with bad rear balljoints causing all kind of alignment problems. You need to jack up the rear end and see if those wheels have any play.
    About the "knightrider" vs "nightrider". I'm sure everyone remembers the TV show "Knightrider" from the 80's with "KIT" the talking Tran Am but a more obscure reference for the term "Nightrider" is a term for the KKK back in the 50's. If it was me I'd stick with "Knightrider".
    Even the longest journey begins with the first step.

Ok! I got it.

Stick with Kit! As in Kit Car eh!
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.