Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 355 muffler

355 muffler

I am looking for some help on which muffler will give me the best "Ferrari" sound while still fitting into the original location on my fiero. The engine will be a 3800sc.

Re: 355 muffler

I've heard a Lambo kit with no mufflers...he just used resinators and exhaust tips...mind you it was a 6 banger Fiero motor. I't did sound good though!!! A good route to go is maybe email a muffler shop with a sound clip of the real car...they might be able to set you up with a good sounding car...a good sound clip and good muffler guy should be able to put 2 and 2 together.
    A Prancing Horse will ALWAYS back away from a RAGING BULL

The 355 muffler is a good choice. You will have to block off the 3rd exhaust inlet for it to function properly. A 348 muffler might be a better choice. No 3rd hole to block off. They are both quite heavy, exhaust exit is the same spot. I built mine from a concept that I saw on Rockcrawler's page. I have a 3800 and I think it will be just fine and less weight.

If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Thanks for the help!! Looks like I will be looking for either a 355 or 348 muffer once I get to that point in time!

I have seen the 348 muffler installed on a car in Chattanooga with a 3800 SC attached to it. I think it is the right way to go. Make an "L" shaped bracket bolted to the engine side of the Fiero rear bumper superstructure and hang the muffler from that bracket. It will produce a clean set up.

how much does a 348 muffler cost?

I have seen the 348 muffler for between 100 - 125 on ebay. A 355 will normally sell for aboyt 300 - 400. A friend of mine in picked one up at a body shop with a slightly bent pipe for 100.

But those mufflers are being shot with 12 Cylinders of *Major Horsepower!!! I Ferrari muffler will not make your car sound like a Ferrari. If anything, it has more baffles to keep noise at a comfortable level. You need 12 Cylinders for that. Get a MINIMAL Restricted muffler! I have a 2.8L (Slightly modified)V6 and I installed a 12" glasspack with No Cat(high flow cat for California) and with 3" piping from collector to the 4 resonator tips exiting the rear. TALK ABOUT LOUD AND EXOTIC SOUNDING!!! A 12" glasspack will not sound like a redneck truck eithor, for all you skeptics out there. I was behind a real black Countach a few days ago who lives in the neighborhood next to me. IT SOUNDS JUST LIKE MINE!!!! SERIOUSLEY! I have my car on video doing a 120 mph flyby but I kept on going. My car was heard VERY WELL at over 1/4 mile away.(Not THAT loud in the cab though). *A 12" pack costs about $35.00. All you need is 1. Granted, A Ferrari has more "Wine" than a Lambo Countach but you will DEFFINATELY get the Exotic sound and volume that will make people druel, especially in a 3.8. People freak out when they hear my car all the time. Trust me, you won't be sorry.

I have to agree with FROG...unless you're using a Ferrari engine don't expect the muffler to sound authentic...If I have a Ford Mustang and decice to throw on Ferrari muffler do you really think my Mustang will sound like a Ferrari...I can probably put money on it that it won't!!! Like I said before...use the knowledge of a good muffler shop...send them a sound clip via email of the real car...I'm sure they will know how to mimik the sound you're looking for.
    A Prancing Horse will ALWAYS back away from a RAGING BULL

Both mufflers are for V8 Ferrari's Both 348 and 355 are V8 engines. You are correct on the sound though. The fit will be excellent for a 355 kit, the sound will still sound like a Chevy 350 or V6 Fiero. That is why I went with my own design on my car, less weight as well.