Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will Extreme/BAD Kits fit 1st Gen MR2 (MK1)?

Will Extreme/BAD Kits fit 1st Gen MR2 (MK1)?

Sometime later this year I'd like to start on my F355 project. My first choice is a Fiero based AD355 and my plan is to source the donor locally then import the body panels and OEM parts from the US (I'm in Manila, Philippines). However, I'm having difficulty locating a suitable Fiero donor over here (I guess there aren't that many around), and importing a Fiero, even if it's cheap in the US, is very costly and prohibitive due to Customs restrictions and requirements.

I've looked into the possibility of building an Extreme or BAD 355 kit but MKII MR2s are so rare and expensive (almost $16,000) because only direct imports from Japan are available. These are also in very very good condition and so well maintained that it will be a waste to tear the car down just to build a kit over it.

On the other hand, MK1 MR2s are quite easy to obtain. Several used units are available for sale every now and then. These are a lot cheaper and are still in reasonably good condition. Spare parts are likewise readily available from surplus shops.

Which brings me to my question:

Is it possible to fit an Extreme or BAD kit on a MK1 1st Gen MR2? How much modification to the panels or to the car body would be required if I was to attempt this? Are there any other body kits available for the MK1 MR2?

I know this is probably a far out idea but I'm just exploring options and possibilities right now. Any comments or suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Tnx - Sonny

Re: Will Extreme/BAD Kits fit 1st Gen MR2 (MK1)?

thers no way a BAD or extreme will fit a mark 1 mr2, the size ,shape complete layout of it is all wrong, the 2 kits mentioned will only fit the mark 2 mr2 1992-99

Neo, I live in Japan and I own an export business. If you need help finding a 90-99 mr-2 I can help. They can be found for cheap, infact I own 2 of them. Email me if you need some help I can set you in the right direction. rashaam@hotmail.com

disilva,

I knew you were gonna say that. Too bad...I was just hoping that somehow it could be done :'(. Thanks for your input though. BTW, which one is better in terms of authenticity and fiberglass quality? Extreme or BAD? And how much is the complete fiberglass package for each of these kits?

kermit,

Thanks for your offer. How much $ do these MR2s cost over there? Are Fieros available as well? Any estimate on the probable total shipping cost? I'll need to check out our car import procedures here...the last I heard they compute the tax based on the "original" purchase value of the vehicle regardless of how old it is...and that's what I'm worried about.

BTW, I know cars in Japan are RHD (right hand drive). Can you find MR2s that are LHD? Used cars and trucks that are brought in to Manila by big time importers have to be converted to LHD before these are publicly auctioned. Unfortunaely, there aren't any MR2s...only Pajeros, Troopers, Hilux and other 4-wheel drives. And usually, these vehicles are high mileage and kinda beat up. Their reliability deteriorates further after the RHD to LHD conversion.

though the mk1 is lighter than a lotus elise and has 135hp stock, it isnt any use to replicas since it's quite a bit narrower than fieros, which need big deeps dish wheels or spacers already. it's also got a standard construction, unlike the fiero, which means you either get a bolt-on body or it will not fit (and stretching it would be a hell of a project)

basically, make a custom body for the mk1 or forget it as a donor
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

Auto,

Would you by any chance happen to have blueprints or drawings of the the MK1 MR2 and MK2 MR2? Can you please post the jpegs here or email them to me? I've searched everywhere and can't find any. Tnx.

The price depends on the year. For example one of my mr-2's is a 91. I found it for $3500 USD. It is fully loaded and had 89000km. It is in great condition as are most of the used cars in Japan. As long as the car is around 10years old then they are very cheap. I paid a lot more for my 98 mr-2. Both are turbocharged. You will pay double for a LHD in Japan and they are very hard to find. Not worth it. I bought the 91 to use with an Extreme kit. I looked at both and it is the one that I think is closest to the real thing. As for shipping I will check I have never shipped a car to Manilla, everything I ship goes to Trinidad and Tobago. I would guess around $2500 at the most.

here you go.

print-wise they look the same, but in real life big difference.
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

just to make sure you dont still go for it...

try stretching or playing with this:
    Attached Images Attached Images          

Quote Originally Posted by neo
    disilva,

I knew you were gonna say that. Too bad...I was just hoping that somehow it could be done :'(. Thanks for your input though. BTW, which one is better in terms of authenticity and fiberglass quality? Extreme or BAD? And how much is the complete fiberglass package for each of these kits?
    ]
    go to the extreme web site and see if there are any importers nearer to you, i think there is one in thailand and australia, you can contact them for kits. as for which one is best then i would go for the extreme as it's more correct to a real 355 even though i have a BAD. i know BAD are going underground at the mo because of ferrari presure so getting a hold of them is getting difficult,look up docurlys posts as hes got a web site for BAD and is an agent for them..
    i don't think there is many lhd mr2's other than usa, which is the nearest country that carrys mr2's that are lhd and search from there