Thread: Eldorado Suspension Mod?

Eldorado Suspension Mod?

Does anyone recognize this application. I need the corect shock height to do an alighnment. The frame and Transaxel are supose to be and apear to be an older Eldorado, but this shock tower is certianly not in my books. Stock shock height is supose to be 14.6". On the side where the tire sits level she mesures ~13.5". On the side where the tire does not sit level she mesures ~14.25.

http://xfrias.tripod.com/Lamborghini/Lamborghini_2.html
    Alien Car Show

Re: Eldorado Suspension Mod?

Not sure if i'm reading this correctly.. The vehicle sets higher on one side due to the shock and coil spring being longer. Am I right so far?
    After looking at the "custom" shock tower. Are the towers the same height? I don't want to hack on someone elses work but the setup looks pretty shoty. The coilover in the pic never came on the Eldorado from the factory. Chances are the mods made to the chassis are not identical to each side. Do you have any other pics? Both sides maybe to compare.

David
    Just smart enough to be very Dangerous

The car does not apear higher on one side then the other, only the shocks are set at two diferent lengths. The actual problem is that the pasenger side tire does not come into full contact with the ground, riding instead on the inner side. Obvously in need of an alighnment. The book tells me to set my shock height first. Only with modifyed shock towers I do not know what that shock height is. I do believe both shock towers are the same height, I will check that later today, but let's assume they are, because if they are not, nothing is relevent as I will have to cut them off and and make them the same, but then I will be back to the same problem of trying to figure the corect shock height.

Updated the pix to show both sides. And don't worry about knocking on the work, it is not mine; if I have to fix it, then so be it.

Thanks for your help.
    Alien Car Show

Are the coilovers adjustable at all on the bottom side? Usually they have about 2 inches of adjustment.. I think alot of things can factor in why the tires may not be plum up and down. If the drive train is set to one side or not centered it may be putting more preasure on that side. Thus waiting that tire down farther. But still it could be the shock towers not being the same height. I guess you could put the car up in the air and set the lower control arms on the jackstands. this will give you your cars ride height with the tires off, look at the angle of the shock towers, lower control arms this with give you a really good idea what is going on.
    Just smart enough to be very Dangerous

Both shock towers are 4 3/8", and yes the coils are adjustable. The centering should be fine, as the control arms do not apear to have been altered in any way, Eldorado transaxel in an Eldorado frame section, should be about the same as the factory made it there. Honestly I do not see anything esse wrong other than the two diferent shock heights. And without knowing how to figure the correct shock height, I am at a loss as where to start. I could probably set them both to the 3 1/2" but as she will soon drive across the US I would rather avoid iregular tire ware.
    Alien Car Show

This may be over simplistic, but wouldn't you set the shocks for the proper ride height, then have the rest of the alignment set from there?
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

Because with the shock towers modified the stock ride height no longer aplys. At point one inch negative of stock height she has a negative camber of six degrees. Added a pic so you can see what I mean.
    Alien Car Show

I wonder if you guys are talking about what I just completed ??

I just swapped out my Countach fiero axles on and rear suspension using the complete El Dorado set-up, fab-ing the upper and lower control arms and mounting a 14" coil over spring system to the fiero strut tower.* I wanted to do this for the stronger hubs and axles, as I am running 12" rims with the P-Zero 345-15's with a 3" offset.* I am running the 350 w/325-4L four speed auto.* I swapped one of the rear brake calipers to the front to get my parking brake, and it is hooked up and seems to work.* What are some of you doing for parking brakes ??*

From some of your pictures, it doesn't look like I am headed in the same direction as you guys, and wondering why you took the approach you did ??

Sorry stinger, I didn't build this one, just bought it. I would say the builder went this rout to lower the profile, and center of gravity to make her handle better. Just pulled in a 80 Eldorado, with the same chassis. The back side of the orignal mesures 2", so they have raised the top of the shock tower by 2 3/8"
    Alien Car Show