Thread: Chassis options???

Chassis options???

Hey guys,
    I was wondering who you would suggest to have a custom chassis made by? I am going to make a F50 so I need a rolling chassis that can accept a V12. Thanks.

Re: Chassis options???

Kermit, when are you getting the F50?

contact mikeo, a member on here he is the master of the chassis,not to be outdone,he is good

mikeo

Well Thanks Mike!! ;D I can build a chassis for just about anything that is designed to fit on a Fiero. My basic chassis platform stays the same and we can lengthen or shorten the wheelbase to accomodate whatever you're building. In my Diablo chassis, I have room for a Sbc with long water pump when using the Audi transaxle. That measures out at about 28.5 inches. We do have a little bit of fore/aft play room, but have to be careful of the axle angle. What is the wheelbase on the F50??

Pit Bull - It is being made now. I hope to have it finished by this summer.

Mike d - Thanks.

Mikeo - It has the same wheelbase as the real car 101.6 The front track needs to be 63.8 and 63.1 at the rear. Length is 176.4
    It looks like I am going to use a BMW V12 but I haven't decided on a tranny to go with it yet. I need something fairly strong. I would also like to use corvette suspension on the front and a similar suspension set up to a real f50 on the rear. Is this possible? Basically I need a rolling chassis, including the wiring. Can you handle a job like this?

mikeo

Hey Kermit. Sure, we could do it. do you want to do any of the fabrication yourself?? I think it would be best either for you to make the body support tubing, or I could do it, but I'd need the body here.
    You see for someone who is building a kit for which I do not have fixtures, what I normally do is get them the complete bottom half of the chassis, but do not do the windshield frame, or any of the tubing in the rear that you would mount the body to. This way that can be done at your site, with the body on for reference, and save you some bucks. None of the pcs left off are critical, they are all just to mount the body to.
    As far as the roilling chassis, no sweat, I sell them like that all the time. A Diablo rolling chassis with coil overs,swaybars,suspension,heat/ac unit and condenser,steering column and rack,fuel cells, and wiring kit sells for $17500. If you wanted to make the wsld frame and the tubing to mount the body, $15500.
    My wheelbase is normally a little longer, but the only trouble I see is you want to shorten the wheelbase and use a huge engine that barely fits in there with the longer wheelbase. I'm not so sure we can do it without moving the rear firewall. I couldn't change the rear suspension at all. all my jigs are for the geometry of the Vette stuff. ck out my website. www.chassisworksinc.com it will basically be the Proline chassis, with all the stuff, just a little shorter. I have to check out the track, I don't remember it offhand.

There are a few guys building kits with the BMW v12 and Audi trans, but I don't think any of them are done to see the survival rate.

Ok Mikeo,
    I will be in contact with you soon. I did email you last week and you got back to me saying you could do it. I was just checking if anyone else was making any chassis, but it sounds like you are the guy to talk to. As for shipping the body to you I think it would be much to expensive to do that. I am in Japan and the body is being made here. So if I get the engine and tranny shipped to you then you can mount it all and then ship it to me? I need the chassis to come into this country with a VIN #, is that something you can do too? I will contact my guy here and see if it is fine that he makes the mounts for the kit. I am sure he will be able to do that. Moving the firewall forward might be a good idea. How about the console, ferrari's don't have ones that high or long. Is it removeable? Can you set up a fake rear suspension look-alike? People will be able to see into the engine bay from the rear and top. I will give you a call next week some time and talk in more detail. Thanks.

mikeo

HI Kermit, sorry if My e mails or posts are redundant...I didn't know your screen name ;D

I can't do the vin#. That is something that is assigned by the D.O.T. and since my chassis are technically sold as for "off road use only" I can't assign it a VIN.

As far as the body..I'm sure it would cost bank to ship it, so I say have someone fab a little tubing to hold the body up on your end.

The rear 1/2 of the console can be deleted, just the front half needs to be there for support of the dash and firewall..but I can narrow it if need be.

And I can mount tne engine and trans if I have it at the shop..No sweat.