Thread: What engine?

What engine?

I'd just like some opinions about what engine is best for a lambo replica. My problem is that if I have a car that looks like its worth a few hundred thousand dollars, I donít want some honda civic blowing me away if it has a turbo or supercharger. What engine would you guys suggest that will give tones of hp and torque so my car wonít get killed, sound like an exotic, and be cost efficient? Also what changes have to be made to a fiero so it can withstand 400-500 hp or more?

Thanks

Re: What engine?

dont take this the wrong way, but this is the typical engine question that pops up about 3 times a week. usually makes use of terms like "blow the doors off.." and "sleeper" ;D

we should make a sticky notice for this since everyone keeps asking the same thing. it all comes down to what you want. theres no universal solution to this issue.

example: chevy v8 is strong but doesnt rev and has the deep gurgle. some dont care, some spend over $10k to make it sound better, some dont want it at all.

other example: non-fiero v6. great sound in most cases, but needs tweaking for high power and almost always some kind of charging (turbo or super) and some dont want that.

oh and let's not forget the dreamers who suggest supra I6s or bike engine setups that never really happen :

it all comes down to what you want...
    in reality most lambo and ferrari drivers drive like disabled grannies (no offense?). they dont need to prove anything since people know what their cars can do...
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

The most bang for the buck will be the 350 chevy as race parts are quite inexpensive.* When you get a replica into the 2400 lb range, 400 HP will get you all the acceleration you are going to want.* As you get above this, you are starting to get into very expensive transaxles and axles to support additional power.* If you want to get rid of the AC, you could probably also do a turbo to get nearer to 500 HP.* Now your problem is a transaxle (if you want to go to a stick), and you now have to go with a stretch frame with the front of the engine up against the firewall with at least $4000 into the transaxle (not including axle & CVJ mods).*

A crate 350 in the 350 - 400 HP range I believe runs around $3500, and you can probably add another $5000 for turbo and injection.* And of course you have the problem with trying to strengthen a stretched fiero frame to handle the power.* But you will have to do this anyway to get upper control arms hooked up to properly located frame members.* (The location of the lowers is Ok for the cradle locations).* The only problem here is, you now have $30,000 tied up into a kit car, with over $10K in the drivetrain.*

Power costs money, and the more you push a smaller engine, the more it's going to cost you in maintenance.* You would be lucky to get 5,000 miles on a small block that's putting out over 400 HP before putting in more money.* The best combination for the money is the 350 & TH325 Auto because it has the proven strength and power handling, but you are only getting a three speed auto.* I went with the TH325-4L four speed overdrive, but it requires firewall frame mods to allow the big 4th gear drive clutch room to fit, and the axles, hubs & brakes are readly available.* If you stay with the Fiero Axles, you need to spend an additional $800 to just get beefier axles, when El Dorado's will cost you $200 and still handle way more power (remember, you are running 335 or 345 tires, and they will require the heavy axles).* (with a stick shift, you are gong to need the biggest axles available as this transmission will snap an axle much easier.)

I don't see the big woop in going with a stick shift, when you can apply all this money into a strong engine turning 7,000 RPM, and even possibly get into the 700 HP range.* (I've seen twin turbo 350's up to 1,600 HP).*

Diablos were built to be top speed fast. They are heavy compared to most of the ricers. A Honda Civic is around 2700lbs and a finished Diablo kit is around 3500lbs or more. The Civic might have 160 hp and then if breathed on might be around 300hp so not bad for it's weight BUT always remember, the ricers tranny was built for 160hp and they have to shift a lot to get through an intersection. I always remember this story about a Diablo driver pulling up beside a ricer and the ricer begged a race, the Diablo driver simply said "I didn't buy a $250,000 car to race a guy in $2500 car!"

Thank you.
    You have all made really good points that I have took into consideration. So my new question would be, what engine and tranny would I use that will be cost efficient but still give the sensation that there is some power under the hood when you accelerate. You know what I mean? Even if my car doesnít have 500 hp or more, when I drive it, I donít want it to feel like Iím driving a lowered mini van. Any suggestions?
    Thanks

The 3800 Supercharged motor is a good choice, offers tons of torque, and is good for about 320 HP with a free flowing exhaust and a pulley kit.. you dont need to do anything radical to your tranny or your axles.. upgraded axles are VERY expensive..... any of the other V6 engines or 4 bangers do not give you very good torque.... just my 2 cents

Stuart

Quote Originally Posted by jack999
    Thank you.
    You have all made really good points that I have took into consideration. So my new question would be, what engine and tranny would I use that will be cost efficient but still give the sensation that there is some power under the hood when you accelerate. You know what I mean? Even if my car doesnít have 500 hp or more, when I drive it, I donít want it to feel like Iím driving a lowered mini van. Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    I would say a DOHC 3.4 for a great sounding motor that raps up fast. From my knowledge this is a very exotic sounding motor. I went with a 4.9 because to me it is the best motor for my taste. You might end up like the rest of us and make a few mistakes before you find the right fit.

what about a ls1? what do they cost compared to the 3800 Sc? would it fit in a fiero?