Thread: Backup camera / GPS ?

Backup camera / GPS ?

I just got a 5" videogame LCD screen for next to nothing, and can't decide what to do with it.

I would ultimately like to install it in the 308, but don't want to spend the hundreds of dollars on a GPS system with RCA out, and don't see the point in installing a video game system or DVD movie player.

A backup camera appeals to me, not only because the 308 has terrible rear visibility but also because it seems like backup cameras regularly go for $30-$60 on ebay.

Anyone have any experiece with backup cameras? Are any of the ebays ones worth the money?

Re: Backup camera / GPS ?

Hi Ari..

I bought a back up camera two years ago at the Sema show in Vegas from a guy, I forget the company name. But I paid 180.00 this included the 3.5 LCD monitor and camera. The same person is now selling them on Ebay. For cheap! Just make sure its made for a reverse image and you can plug it right into your monitor. Usually they are 9V DC so you'll have to run a resistor. Hope this helps
    Just smart enough to be very Dangerous

I was thinking something like this
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=5740578016

or this

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...748865150&rd=1

They've also got nightvision cameras for $20 more!

I purchased a 7" screen for about $100, and have a rear view & side view camera. For the Countach, I was more concerned about the passengers side view. I paid $49 for a color camera .2 lux that I had build a watertight enclosure, and $59 for a .3 lux that already had a watertight seal. I would like a reverse image for the rear, but have not found a color one for less than about $200. Most are 12 VDC, but you have to also watch out for the +/- 10% input voltage. If your alternator runs more than 13 Volts, you will have to get a protective circuit for the camera.

What is the quality of your camera like? Useable? How many degrees of vision does it give you?

just a warning on the pinhole cams. they usually have an ok picture quality at best. it will stop you from hitting anything big but you wouldnt see something like broken bottles or something smaller that you might in a mirror.

resolution on most is half of normal TV, so it wont be the best image in the world. :'(
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

That's what I expected, but my LCD screen (It's a 5" Verge LCD screen designed for use with a playstation one) Has pretty poor resolution anyways making (Better then TV, but nowhere close to good enough to read small text like that on a GPS system), so maybe they'll make a good match

My suggestion is a digital camera with video-out. It would take a bit of tweaking to get it to turn on automatically with power, but something like a cybershot or the newer cheap brands would be ideal. They have great resolution (most have TV res on the video-out) and automatically adjust to light variations. In fact the newer sony cams (my 3mpx cost $100) have nightvision mode which works pretty well for what you want (not so good when actually taking pics).
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

Both of my cars have cameras in them. My Subaru has lip stick style camera mounted next to the rear view mirror that feeds into a 5" LCD and a VCR in the trunk. This is my black box. I can say that it has been a lot of fun to always record what is out of my front window. I have many clips of people doing really stupid things. For my Sterling, I have a camera facing the rear passenger side and an old 5" CRT in the dash. I built this system in 1994 (hence the CRT) and use it only for checking my blind spot. This has saved me many times. Face it, some cars have really bad blind spots and camera systems work. When I build my AD355, I will again build a camera system into it. This time I will only use one of the outdoor ready lipstick cameras, and the rear view mirror with the LCD built into it.

Link to my Subaru Build:
    http://brastic.com/subaru/blackbox.html

Link to LCD Mirror and flush camera.(I just did a Google search)
    http://www.mobilevideozone.com/produ...7-B8C80783BEC1

Things that I have learned.
    1. Do not get the cheapest camera.
    2. If you are going to use a color camera, make sure that it is low lux. I like <1
    3. Monitor brightness is a big issue. >500nit is daylight viewable. I used 250nit and it washed out in direct light.

Hey Ari i can get you two styles of backup cameras, one is $80 and the other is $120 canadian, call me at my shop if your interested ask for mike. (705)792-7830
    http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=5/14115334210.jpg&amp;s=x4