Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FIERO/355 Spider convertible frame

FIERO/355 Spider convertible frame

Has anyone built a custom frame for the top of a fiero 355 convertible. I am looking to do the framework myself. If anyone has blueprints of the convertible frame that would be awsome.

Another thing, is the real 355 and electric convertible or soft top that you have to put up yourself?

Thanks guys

Don

Re: FIERO/355 Spider convertible frame

Ahhhhh....
    The $64 question we have all been struggling with for several years now.

I do not believe anyone has any blueprints....yet, but several ideas have been bashed around.

I was over in Pennock's a couple nights ago looking for this exact info and there is LOTS of info but again, not many detailed drawings at all. I have my own design, derived from the Automoda design of many years ago but I have not gotten to that stage of the build yet.

B & B has a top that is also based off the Automoda top but it also has a removable targa section as did the Automoda top.

The real Ferrari top is a hydraulic setup that folds up the front section of the roof and then pulls the pillars straight down behind the seats. There isn't really very much room available in the Fiero for this setup but a few have been looking at trying to do that. See FunnyWheels' "Going Topless" thread here for more on that one.

Pit Bull is also doing some top work right now as well. Look at his 355Hell(StartingOver) thread. I beleive that is where it is.

When over on Pennonck's I saw that a convertible thread was up and rujnning and one of th emembers over there is having someone in Georgia copy the mechanisms for the 355 but I don't know who that is. It is supposed to be available in the summer time frame.

That's all I can help you with. If you go through the design process and come up with something, we woudl all like to see it as well.

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

neo

Does anyone have a video of how the top folds and unfolds? I think that would be a great help for those with "creative minds" and have a flair for designing things...to see how the thing works and maybe come up with a similar design that works for the Fiero set-up.

If you go to www.howstuffworks.com they should have a video of a convertible. Unfortunatley my brian hasn't though up anything yet.

For my project, I will start with a soft-top that you manually pull the canvas up.

Jay

neo

Jay355 - that's a pretty cool site...lots of interesting stuff too . But I was thinking of a video of an actual 355 convertible top. It might in some ways be different from the standard soft top of most cars. From what I understand, the mechanics are a bit complicated and it folds differently into the back seat. Also, it would be nice to see just the roof frame in action so we can see how it actually works.

maybe this will help

http://www.ferrari355kit.com/videos/355TopInAction.mpeg

you MUST right click and download file, I don't allow external linking to this server...

neo

dcox - thanks for that video. I didn't realize part of the frame actually slid down the back of the seat...all along I thought the whole frame folded to the back just like the usual convertible top.

Now that we have a video, can anyone post pics or drawings of the actual frame of a 355 convertible top (frame only - similar to the drawing below). You never know...we just might be able to figure it out . Tnx.

Attached Images Attached Images    

Don

neo;

I don't think anyone has an actual Ferrari convertible frame drawing. If they do, it woudl be great to have them post one. That woudl really help. I think Jim Dinner had a few pics of the inside of one on his personal build web site.

I will be doing a convertible simlar to th eAutomoda top. Here are some poor pics I found elsewhere.

Also a thread that gives really good detail of the top inside pics. Just go through the thread and find the pics on th e2nd page.

http://www.madmechanics.com/yabbse/i...p?topic=1702.0

Cheers
    Don
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

neo

Hi Don,

Thanks for the link, I'll go check it out.

I have several pics of the inside of a 355 convertible roof...I actually took them myself. But it's so difficult to determine how the frame is put together just by looking at the pics (frame was black and the fabric was black too). In fact, even when you're sitting inside the car, it was still difficult...space is too cramped and the back side was too dark. I'll see if scan the pics and post them here...maybe it would help.

I wanted to rip the fabric out so I can see just the frame and figure out how it was put together and how it functioned ;D

Guys, awsome links, Ideas are now floating around in my head....I will definitley post my project once I start to finish...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast