Thread: auto tranny ideas?????????????

auto tranny ideas?????????????

Hi all,

Before I start researching, which will probably be small finds......I thought I would come here, as some people I know are using saab trannies or other than GM trannies.....I don't care about adaptor plating, but I am on the look out for a strong 5 or 6 speed auto trans, can anyone help???? Logical thinking preferred, as I doubt I could afford say a porsche semiauto...

Actually that is what I am looking to do....A semiauto that can convert to full auto, like ferrari's.....Over at pennocks some of you might know this already but there are two sources for paddle shiffting already done......Fastfieros with the 3800 and 4t65hd I believe is the tranny....The other is a new product not ready for the market yet, but will be from ryan.hess.....Both trannies are 4 speeds while a fall back item nontheless I still want more gears.......lol.......Not asking for too much am I........ARRRRGGGHHH!!! Just venting k guyz.........lol........Thanx for your time though.......
    Me, I sell engines, the cars are free.&nbsp; I need something to crate the engines in.... Enzo Ferrari......<br />Today they are called garage&#039;s, yesterday, they were stable&#039;s.&nbsp; Eric Jacobsen...

Re: auto tranny ideas?????????????

I was just reading Ryan's post last night. Very interesting since I have a 4t65ehd in mine. But for you, I was just thinking the other day about the Audi manuals used in some conversions. Don't these Audis also come with autos that could be used? A lot of the newer stuff has the "tiptronic" shifting that may be adaptable to paddles. I don't know, but it was a passing thought.

Bob
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

Hi all,

YEAH!!!! That was what i meant, the audi transaxles........Worth a shot at some research...Though, what is this tiptronic tranny, is that push button shifting like a porsche....??
    Me, I sell engines, the cars are free.&nbsp; I need something to crate the engines in.... Enzo Ferrari......<br />Today they are called garage&#039;s, yesterday, they were stable&#039;s.&nbsp; Eric Jacobsen...

I was refering to "tiptronic" as a gated type shifter that you move forward to shift upward and back to shift down. I've seen them on a few cars. Nothing specific, although I know Porsche has one, or is getting one.

Bob
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

Yes the audis have tiptronic.

Hi all,

For those of you thinking of going auto there is a light at the end of the tunnel.........

Drum roll please...... ;D

A new product from a joint operation between gm and ford...What's this you say, well it's a new 6 speed auto...YEP!! That's right 6 gears of goodness....So far the official reports on the tranny are slim pickings as this thing won't make production cars till 2006 or later, but It has been said to handle up to 300 ft lbs of torque and for some reason only a 4 percent increase in fuel economy.......There are links all over the net about this tranny but that's basically what I've been able to find...Just anouncements of the trans and these meager results....Well the fuel economy is meager...

Link: http://www.motortrend.com/features/n...s040420_trans/

That is a once in a life time photo. I wonder if after the photo was snapped, both sides used Purell hand sanitizer and returned to antagonizing each other with taunting remarks under their breath.
    5 out of 4 people are not good at fractions