Thread: Started rebuilding the front driver's side suspension today...

Started rebuilding the front driver's side suspension today...

Today I attempted to fix the major suspension problems present in the front driver's side: spindle, lower and upper balljoints.

Got the upper balljoint replaced no problem, got the spindle out and replaced as well, the lower balljoint though... what a PITA! It doesn't appear to be welded in or anything, but that part just doesn't want to come out! And from what I hear getting the new one back in isn't any more fun! I'm thinking of attempting to pop it out using a c-clamp and a block of wood tomorrow. My balljoint popper won't fit on the lowe, and I can't think of any local tool places which rent a "proper" balljoint press (Canadian Tire only rents pickle forke)

Any other suggestions?

Re: Started rebuilding the front driver's side suspension today...

Have you tried heating it up? Don't get crazy with the torch but get it hot first and it should come out. I had a hell of a time too ! I just used a MAP gas turbo toch it gets hotter than porpane. I got mine just a little cherry red ( not orange ) all the way around. Then I set it on top of a piece of pipe large enogh for it to slide into. Then I beat the hell out of it with a 3 lb. short sledge hammer. And it popped out. Then I took it to friends shop and used his press and pressed the new one in.

Got it out and all fixed today, was able to rent a $270 balljoint press from Partsource which did the job just great!

The right tool can do amazing things.

Well, the suspension is now basically fixed, last major thing to fix is the exhaust leak.

In other news a significant portion of my brake fluid disappeared though, can't really figure out where. Thinking I have a leak somewhere Oh well, that will have to wait till next free weekend.

Great ! ;D I'm glad you got it. I wish I would have taken mine to the press in the first place.

Glad to hear that.I once tried to replace a ball joint from a Camaro,I had to pound on it for a hour to get the ball joint out.Installation was worse I couldnt get it to go in so I very carefully drove it to the shop.
    The road to life is full of flat squirrels, who couldn't make up their mind!