Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caddy V8 or other package for a midengine car

Caddy V8 or other package for a midengine car

I want to know more about small (little HP) Caddy-V8. Or other american engine/transmission siutable for midenginecar. I need to know year, modell and horsepower. Automatic is ok, but manuall is better!* ;D
    Anyone?
    (Sorry for my bad english, I live in Sweden : )

Re: Caddy V8 or other package for a midengine car

Look for a posting called "My Koenig" under general kitcar chat. Down a ways you will see pics of a complete 93 Cadillac Deville powertrain installed in the back of an 86 fiero. The cheapest route for a V-8 midengined chassis.
    this is the 4.9 V-8 with 4 speed automatic. I forget the horsepower.
    And the joke is,<br />when he awoke his,<br />body was covered in Coke fizz !

4.9 is 200 HP

Quote Originally Posted by F355spider
    4.9 is 200 HP
    Sounds about right, thanks.

Thanks

It must be sites on Internet with data about Cadillac 4.1, 4.5 & 4.9? I'm not very good sersching on Internet, maybe anyone can help me find these sites?

If I later on want more HP in Cadillac 4.x, is it difficult and/or expensive?

If for some reason you need more just add a turbo. The 4.9 has a lot of torque and feels like it has more HP than it does. Remember this engine was made to pull a big Caddy around town and when put in a little Fiero the weight is like half. I would only recommend the late 4.5 or the 4.9 only the older 4.1 and 4.5 had some issues. Go to the Fiero Factory web site Ed has some good info. He also sells a plug and play wiring harness.

Calle If you put 4.9 in the search box and hit the button you will get a lot of info just on this site alone.
    Would you have access to many 4.9 engines in your area? Here they are as plentiful .... as blonds are in your country.

Because of the problem with getting aftermarket or performance parts for any Caddy engine, I believe the only good usefull package would be the Northstar. And I don't know enough about flipping the differential to reverse the direction of rotation for a rear end application in newer models. And if you use it in the normal direction, you may end up with too much rear weight with half the engine and all of the transmission to the rear of the car.

That is why the older Caddy transaxles are used with the Chevy 350 for mid engine applications (I use the 4 Speed 325-4L, with the complete transaxle, hubs and brakes. The BOP (engine to transmission adapter) is readly available for $50, but you will have to have an adapter made to turn the differential 180 degrees (I had mine made for about $100 out of 1/2 steel plate), or have a fancy one made out of machined alum. You can leave it in its normal rotation, but again, too much weight on the rear of the car. This is the least expensive way to go which gives you the HP with a heavy weight transaxle, axles and hubs to run the wide tires.

Oh Ya !!!! You have to cut away the center of the Oil Pan and weld in an archway (or weld in a steel tube) to allow the extension axle to exit on the drivers side. You can also purchase an aftermarket oil filter adapter because you will have to remotely mount your oil filter. My whole package that included a rebuilt engine, new distributor, headers, intake manifold & Carb and transmission cost about $1800, and that gets you about 350 HP.

If not I will trade a 4.9 for a good blond ;D

I will trade a 4.9 for a bad blonde