Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attn: Superstang460...Custom cradle ???

Attn: Superstang460...Custom cradle ???

Bob,
    I was looking closer at the pics you had previously provided for your cradle. I noticed that the toe adjustment is made at the top of the spindle (unlike the Fiero which is at the steering knuckle) at what looks like the strut mount. I was wondering what spindles were being used, and if that spot has enough leverage to prevent the wheel from wanting to rotate/steer? Do you have a good top picture?

TIA...

Bob (too)
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

Re: Attn: Superstang460...Custom cradle ???

Since those photos the cradle has been completely re-engineered. This is because we decided to turn the engine/tranny assembly around 180 degrees and use a toyota truck differential to make the tires rotate in the proper direction. It is now rear engined for much better weight transfer/clearance. I am now using the stronger knuckles from a pontiac 6000 and some custom made 5-108mm hubs/bearings.

The pictures I have are all in email form and I am having a hard time posting them. I will email you the latest pics that have my engine/tranny/differential all installed. If you could post them for me that would be great.

I will have my wide ferrari wheels, 13 discs and complete drive train at Johns cookout this year.
    5 out of 4 people are not good at fractions

Great Bob, looking forward to seeing the pics. I'll post them if I can....Doubt I'll make the BBQ this year :-\, but someday soon, I hope.

So, you are using the stock (not stock, but similar) knuckle. Very interesting. Certainly giving me some ideas.

later...

I sent the emails to you just now. The pontiac 6000 knuckles bolt right in place of the stock fiero except they are a little bulkier and the hub assembly is bigger with more splines for a stronger aplication. I am more than sure pics will be floating around after the cookout.
    The pics I sent to you do not have the horizontally opposed coil overs mounted yet. They mount right in front of the water pump area of my engine. It is going to be a true one of a kind.

I've got most of the pic. Some are still in cyberland. I'll try to get some up. It looks like you're using a regular ball joint at the bottom, and you fix the rotation at the top. Do yu have a pic of the top of the knuckle and the bracket you're using?

Here are some pics. Now I understand what you're doing. Before it was a little fuzzy. What trans are you using???

Lost the pics...Trying again...
    Attached Images Attached Images    

and...

and (I'm a post hog ;D)

and one more...

I dont have any pics of the cradle fully assembled yet. My hubs are at HMS getting redrilled to 108mm and my knuckles are getting glass beaded and painted. They mount like the stock fiero with the ball joint on the bottom and a treaded rod end to positively locate the wheels tracking forward.

The engine is a ford 5.0L, the tranny is a GM TH325-4L 4-speed with overdrive, and the differential is a late model toyota truck axle that is offset to the correct side and rotates in the proper direction. Toyota trucks are popular in the offroad world and locking diffs, limited slip, and even solid spool differentials are availible. Even ring and pinions from 2.03 to 6.72 ratios are availible, so the sky is the limit on gearing and traction for me. All parts are availible at Auto Zone too .

I removed the OEM ferrari 355 induction system off of it to duplicate them but I do not have the funds right now to finish. But soon as the cradle is assembled with the horizontal coil overs, 13" slotted discs, and 335/30/18" rear tires I will reinstall the fully functional ferrari plennums and intake to the top of my ford block. Pics will shortly follow for sure.

On easter weekend(march 28th) I am taking my truck and enclosed trailer to Cocoa Beach, Fl to get my cradle from Dave Held, then to Dave Newmans in Tampa to get my shortened fiero doors to accept the oem 355 door skins, then to John watsons in Tennga, GA to pick up my t-top car.

Yes, I am taking a sawzall to a perfectly good t-top car for my 355 GTS donor. I can see the hate mail coming already