Thread: Removing Body

Removing Body

I recently ran across a "Non stretched" 355. Not a bad looking car. (except for the 4cyl / Auto 1986 Donor car that was used.) Why?? Who Knows.

Has anyone done or.... Is it possible / worth it to remove the body from the 355 car and swap to my 88 v6/5 speed donor that I have here. Orginally, I wanted to a Lambo Stretch but I kind of like the looks of this 355. Any thoughts???

I have a 3800 series that I would most likely do while the cradle is out of the 88 and I think it would make a nice car.

Thanks
    Previous Builds: AF - 308 Replica w/ V8 & GM F-body Testarossa Replica
    Current Toys: 308 V8 Project #2, 91 V-12 Jaguar XJ-S Coupe. 1983 Hurst\Olds, 1979 Trans/AM - 468CID Bracket Car.

Re: Removing Body

Do you have pics of the body? I would say from personal experience, build the new 88" chassis with the 3800 do any or all of the suspenion and finish up everything before you even think about swapping the body over.. Then take a huge and detailed look at the non stretched body you have.. the front clip will most likely come off pretty easy. the doors may be clued on so decide if they can even be pulled and then look at the door jambs where the rear quarters attach. look arount the rear deck lid to see how it is attached.. these parts may be destroyed by attemping to remove them. take into consideration how many hours it will take to re-fit and "repare" the pieces that will be damaged. My point is I started with a $4,000 body and built a $30,000 + chassis. after fixing ALL the pieces that were incorrect and not right. I could have built 3 AD kits. the time the money the headache..
    I'm not trying to discourage you at all, I just don't want you to have to got threw un needed time and expence.
    post pics! Hope this helps

David
    Just smart enough to be very Dangerous

I'm guessing the paint would probably crack too in the process, so you most likely wouldn't save on that
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

Thanks for the tips. I'm a little "un-experienced" with the actual body of the original fiero.

I agree that acutally removing glued / bonded on panels would pretty much be a waste of time. I should have clarified my "intentions".

SInce my 88 has no body on it, I'm not familiar as to how the fiero body is actually removed. (Rear portion of it anyway.) I'm sure most people on this board have experience with this.

An example would be:

I had a 66 Corvette several years back. When I restored the car, I removed the entire body (about 13 bolts or so) entirely off of the frame. This is pretty common with "frame off"'s on the older cars. I then powder coated the frame, re-did all of my brake lines, suspension , fuel tank etc and then re-installed the body , interior etc. Some people even paint the body before installing it on the frame. (Doors, winshield, rear windows are always removed before the body comes off.

I'm aware that the fieros like most newer cars don't have an "actual frame" like some older cars so removing the entire body like a old Corvette is'nt possible but I guess my original question was whether or not a "body swap" could or would be feasible.

I would most likely remove the "355 fieros" hood, front clip and entire door assemblies (not just the "skins") which would most likely be the easiest part. It's the rear portion of the car behind the doors that I did'nt have a clue on.

From your comments, let me "expand on my question" so I make sure I'm understanding everyone.

Say you have a "perfect fiero" sitting in front of you. You decide you want to take off the front fenders, hood, nose and doors. Can the rear portion of the body (behind the doors) be removed? (Either seperately or all together?? My understanding is that the roof panel is "glued on to the space frame so I guess this present a problem. So my question is'nt really asking how to "pry off glued 355 panels from the original panels but more like can I remove everyting. (Like if you got into an accident with your stock fiero and you cracked both rear 1/4's and had to replace them.)

By looking at mine, I can't tell because I have no body on the car at all. I would imagine that you would have to cut the roof portion from the rear body panels. My donor is just frame, Cradle etc.

I'm going to take a run down to my dads storage yard where I have the donor and take a good look at it.

Hope that long explanation is'nt too "strange".

Thanks for the tips. I agree that removing an actual kit and doing repair work (and most likely lots of damage) would most likely be a pretty "impossible task".
    Current Toys: 308 V8 Project #2, 91 V-12 Jaguar XJ-S Coupe. 1983 Hurst\Olds, 1979 Trans/AM - 468CID Bracket Car.

You're asking some very wise questions.. Great idea before anything is actually done. Believe it or not.. you can remove every body panel on the Fireo with a 10mm, 13mm, and a steel punch. The inside of the wheel well liners are attached with 7mm small screws. The door skins are attached with torx bolts.. and very easy to remove. bumpers are seperate, doors, front and rear deck lids, fenders, the roof is attached with 10 mm bolts under the headliner and is actually glued on the A pillars with window tar, "very gewy" The quarters and rear window surround is probably the most difficult to remove. that is also attached with 10mm bolts. move it around it'll come off but needs some help. the door sills are pop riveted on. you can either use a steel punch and hit the centers in or drill them. When I assembled my 355 quarter panels I scribed a piece of 18 quage steel to the fiberglass where it attaches to the door jams and welded it in, this piece was then epoxied and riveted together. If you just glass this it will crack after a while. this way there is no chance of it getting a hair line crack in the jam. nice and clean the tops of the quarters are also epoxied into place. I also epoxied the door skins onto the fiero doors. Like you said it can be done but deside if its worth it before starting. look at how its put together. Depending on who assemlbed the car it may just be hanging on. I tend to over kill what I build.. but I also built it to be used. Everyone is different.

David

Thanks David.

I thanks for the tips. It's a difficult decision that's for sure. I'd love to be able to put a nice body on my donor. I really could'nt deal with the 4 cylinder / auto in the current car.

One last lquestion. for everyone. It's not my "ideal" setup but if I could "bend" on the idea of an automatic, is the transaxle used with the 4cyl the same one used with the V6's??

If worst came to worst and I decide on the car, would my original 2.8 or the 3800 work with the original Auto Transaxle?.

Thanks.

same.. same. it'll work just need a new flywheel