Thread: Thanks, Just to clarify...

Thanks, Just to clarify...

Thanks for the tips. I'm a little "un-experienced" with the actual body of the original fiero.

I agree that acutally removing glued / bonded on panels would pretty much be a waste of time.* I should have clarified my "intentions".

SInce* my 88 has no body on it, I'm not familiar as to how the fiero body is actually removed.* (Rear portion of it anyway.) I'm sure most people on this board have experience with this.

An example would be:

I had a 66 Corvette several years back.* When I restored the car, I removed the entire body (about 13 bolts or so) entirely off of the frame. This is pretty common with "frame off"'s on the older cars.* I then powder coated the frame, re-did all of my brake lines, suspension , fuel tank etc and then re-installed the body , interior etc. Some people even paint the body before installing it on the frame. (Doors, winshield, rear windows are always removed before the body comes off.

I'm aware that the fieros like most newer cars don't have an "actual frame" like some older cars so removing the entire body like a old Corvette is'nt possible but* I guess my original question was whether or not a "body swap" could or would be feasible.

I would most likely remove the "355 fieros" hood, front clip and entire door assemblies (not just the "skins") which would most likely be the easiest part.* It's the rear portion of the car behind the doors that I did'nt have a clue on.

From your comments, let me "expand on my question" so I make sure I'm understanding everyone.

Say you have a "perfect fiero" sitting in front of you.* You decide you want to take off the front fenders, hood, nose and doors. Can the rear portion of the body (behind the doors) be removed?* (Either seperately or all together??* My understanding is that the roof panel is "glued on to the space frame so I guess this present a problem.* So* my question is'nt really asking how to "pry off glued 355 panels from the original panels but more like can I remove everyting.* (Like if you got into an accident with your stock fiero and you cracked both rear 1/4's and had to replace them.)

By looking at mine, I can't tell because I have no body on the car at all.* I would imagine that you would have to cut the roof portion from the rear body panels. My donor is* just frame, Cradle etc.

I'm going to take a run down to my dads storage yard where I have the donor and take a good look at it.

Hope that long explanation is'nt too "strange".

Thanks for the tips.* I agree that removing an actual kit and doing repair work (and most likely lots of damage) would most likely be a pretty "impossible task".
    Previous Builds: AF - 308 Replica w/ V8 & GM F-body Testarossa Replica
    Current Toys: 308 V8 Project #2, 91 V-12 Jaguar XJ-S Coupe. 1983 Hurst\Olds, 1979 Trans/AM - 468CID Bracket Car.

Re: Thanks, Just to clarify...

It will porbably be easier to keep this all in one thread. that way it'll be easy for everyone to answer the questions.
    Lets close this one up

thanks
    Just smart enough to be very Dangerous

Re: Thanks, Just to clarify... OOPS

I'm not sure why this post "appeared" by itself. It also correctly appeared under "REMOVING BODY Panels". NO need to reply to this post. (I Can't delete it.).

Thanks
    Previous Builds: AF - 308 Replica w/ V8 & GM F-body Testarossa Replica
    Current Toys: 308 V8 Project #2, 91 V-12 Jaguar XJ-S Coupe. 1983 Hurst\Olds, 1979 Trans/AM - 468CID Bracket Car.