Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bonding the hood panels

Bonding the hood panels

I am going through the to do list.... VERY LARGE STILL > and I was looking at my front hood. When I got the car, the front hood top piece was pretty flat from front to back as well as the inner panel that is the under panel.

I ended up not using the lower panel piece in my first attempt at a correct hood match to the fenders. I made a metal frame that I shaped to the fenders and then just screwed to the top panel. Now that I am getting closer to finishing work, I was wondering what everyone has done to get several things done with their front hoods.

Questions below:

• How do you get the shape of the fenders into the panels when bonding them? I was thinking about screwing the bottom piece too blocks all along the fenders to have the shape in and then bond the top panel to it. Cut away the screws after ward and see how far it springs back.. Hopefully, not far or at all.
    • How do you get the hood to have more shape in the centre of the hood? Mine seems to sink in the centre of the hood more than it should. Again, I was thinking of bracing the bottom panel in the centre so it is is solid and then place wedges or something in between the two panels when bonding to push the top up and still have the bottom seal against the weather strip on the Fiero. Also thought of expanding foam but I think that could get ugly fast if I messed it up.
    • Lastly, what do you use to bond the upper and lower panels together? JB Weld or fiberglass resin and a few soaked pices of mat that you sandwhich?

Thanks in advance.
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Re: Bonding the hood panels

Sounds like my hood well you have to right idea for forming it. I used a 1"x 6" and scribed the tops of each fender to get the exact shape. I then screwed the 1x6's to each side.. on the top of the hood skin, this giving the hood perfect curve. I then flipped the hood over and built a 1" sq steel tube frame. the center of the hood where it is flat or sunk in I welded a piece of flat bar 1" wide by 1/8" and welded this across the flat spot on its side.. on the center of the flat bar which would be the most sunk in part of the hood. I welded a L bracket with a 3/8" nut on it. I then welded a small peice of flat bar same size but only 8" long and welded a 1/2" sleeve into the center of the 8" flat bar. the 3/8" nut is for any adjustment needed.. so using a 3/8" X 1" bolt screw the bolt down into the nut. the more you screw it down the more it'll push the center out.. remember the 8" piece of flat bar is placed between the fiberglass and the bolt.. the bolt fits into the 1/2" sleeve so it can push evenly without leaving a dimple in the center of the hood. I used 3/16 countersink rivetes to attach the frame work to the fiberglass. i used duraglass in between all pieces for bonding. Don't forget to add your hood latch loop to the frame under the hood skin. keep the 1x6's on the hood the entire time until all work is finished.. the bottom hood skin will have to be trimmed in order to fit around some of your steel frame work. the bottom side skin can then be attached with duraglass..

Hope it all made sence.. i can explain better if you need me too.

good luck.

David
    Just smart enough to be very Dangerous

How to bond your hood together:

In order to bond the top panel to the lower panel both need to be prepped to accept the bonding agent.* If you want to have you hood feather to the edge of the fender with the thickness of less than ľ of an inch thick once bonded, you will need to remove the fiberglass material between the bottom of the top panel and the top of the lower panel.* Keep the top panel a little thicker than the lower.*

Attached Images Attached Images             
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

To get the shape proper in relationship to the fender curve. The fenders must be mounted to the car and placed in the position they will be mounted when the car is finished. To get the proper curve of the hood, I used duct tape to attach 2 thicknesses of paint sticks to the inside of the fender attachment area. Once that is done lay the bottom panel in place on top of the paint sticks taped in place with all hardware attached (Hinges, Latches, etc.) Once the lower panel is in place, trial fit you top panel. Once you are satisfied with the trial fit, mix your bonding agent and apply it liberally to the surfaces to be bonded. (Note: Use silicone sealer on the panel parts that are not bonded but might rub together once the hood is bonded on the edges. This will eliminate squeaks and rattles in the future).

After the bonding agent is applied and the parts sitting upon each other, make sure of your side gaps than set weight on the top panel over the portions you want to stick together. I used a weight set I have in the garage that I need to start using again, but just canít seem to find the time.

I also taped off the tops and bottoms of the fenders to keep the bonding agent from getting on those parts creating more work for my project.

Let the parts sit overnight and you will have a nicely bonded hood when finished.

Best of luck,

Dave

Yep I remember those days.

Thanks everyone;

I always wondered whether the pieces would not bend back and out of shape but it looks like it will stay the shape do to the placement of the bonding pieces.

I had talked to Dave about this when in Florida but it had all fallen out by now..... It is all starting to com eback.

Thanks again
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Here is the painted hood. Top and bottom look great.

Dave

I think it pays to finish the under side of the hood. I removed a lot of the under panel to make the portion toward the windshield look thinner.

Dave, Your wife hasn't noticed the guest bed missing it's comforter yet? Cars looking great and we can't wait to see you driving in it! 8)

LOL!

I guess I better get it finished or I will be using that comforter while sleeping in the car.

I have the hood painted and on the car now. I mounted that yesterday. Meg got me a a new camera and as soon as I can figure out how to get the photo to lower resolution, I will post the info.

Dave