Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bonding Fiberglass to Metal...Please Help

Bonding Fiberglass to Metal...Please Help

After 12 Years, its time to refresh My Baby. A 1962 Ferrari 250GTO, built on a '73 240Z, with a Small Block Chevy......."still Crazy after all these years"!!

I originally researched the heck out of building a Replicar. Actually had a deposit on a Porsche 356, but that was in the midst of California changing its Smog laws. I think my next would be a Porsche 550 Spyder.
    So Sweet. I ended up building the GTO because of cost and More Importantly, Beauty. The GTO is one of the sexiest bodies ever! I have heard discussions about resale, and the GTO's never pull in what their Beauty belies. Oh well, it's the journey.

BLAH BLAH....Sorry.

My problem must occur with other Kits, Delamination of the Fiberglass Body Panel from the Metal Donor Car. The GTO is notorious for the Door Skins coming undone under the windows. I was extra careful and they are fine. I used Marine Epoxy as suggested by Blue Rhino (?) but my problem is where the Rear Clip Bonded to the Roof of the Datsun. I probably Feathered the Panels to thin and eventually a crack appeared (after 7-8 years - pretty good) and now some rust has set in.

Should I (or could I) just grind down the old bond and re-glue it?
    What type of Adhesive are people using these Days? Basically the same?
    As far as Feathering, should I add some fibergalss cloth (or bond a panel on) to the GTO body to bring more Fiberglass up onto the roof? Right now the body stops right even with the door opening across to the rear hatch opening, only about 6 inches wide. (If youu know the GTO).

Again, what is a Good way to Bond Fiberglass Panels to Roughed up Steel?

April @ Knotts??

Thanks for ANY help.
    Patrick

Re: Bonding Fiberglass to Metal...Please Help

If it were me, I would grind out the portion that has broken the bond with the metal, then add fiberglass matt liberally applied to the parts to re-attach them. The new fiberglass will bond to the roughed up metal and the fiberglass body parts. Joe Alphabet used the marine epoxy to attach the bodies back in the 80s. There might be some newer laminate out there these days to help you with your project. I would go to the body supply and ask their recommendation. Do you have the chassis X braced to keep the Z from flexing. I had to install a brace between my rear strut towers to fix the flexing problem.

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Thanks Dave.

The Rear Strut Brace is NOW top of my list ! ! !

I also looked deeper into this Forum, under "Glue" ??? and saw a whole bunch of Products.

However, in your explaination I am applying new matte to the roughed up Body Sheetmetal and the I roughen up the Kit Body, glassing them together in one step, NOT as in the original install where I ground the sheetmetal and applied the Marine epoxy between the Fiberglass shell and the Sheetmetal. I would have thought I needed to add more matte, as you said, to get me more material up on the roof for more holding, THEN epoxy (or something) the new Fiberglass to the Sheetmetal roof. No epoxy? Just Glass and Matte myself from the Old Area higher up the roof line?

Again, what do I know, because it didn't hold.

My kit was from Arizona Z, pulled from an Alphabet car I think. It has the small piece from the "Sugar Scopes" to the start of the hood (less Desirable)

But AGAIN, Thanks....and let me know your other thoughts,
    Patrick

I wonder if there is a special resin for the metal/fiberglass application??? ???

Vynilester resin is fantastic for bonding fibreglass to metal. Grind up the matal area you want to bond to, lay a strip of 600 - 900g chopped strand matting and roll to expell any air and saturate the resin through the mat. Grind the side of the glass panel you want to bond and screw onto the metal over the mar strip you have laid down. Once this goes off you can remove the screws and fill the holes. Sand back and apply a skim of body filler to smooth it all over. I have used this tecnique many times to mould bonnet scoops on for a seemless look and have also used it to attach a fibreglass Porche 959 body onto a '77 modle 911 for a customer last year. I have never had any problems with delaminating and find this to be the best method of bonding fibreglass to metal.
    Hope this helps...
    Modified cars dont kill,<br />Idiot drivers do.........

Araldite used to make a great product in the 80s called KP36. It was probably one of the best around at the time for fibreglass to metal applications. We used it extensively bodny fibreglass bodykits and flares etc to race cars. I know of one car that 24 years later is still stuck great. Contact Araldite and see what they have these days.

Thanks, all you guys, for the input.

I'll post later the results.

The best on the market is 3m pannel bond.(period)

bondo, have you ever used any of the "duramix" brand?

Duane,no I havent,but let me tell you something.A few years ago a 3m rep came buy the shop to show everybody their pannel bond.It is designd to bond metal to metal without weilding.It also sticks to clean fiberglass as well. But anyway,there was one douting Thomas thet didnt believe that the pannel bond was stronger than weilding.so the 3m guy put it to the test.Jerry weilded two pieces of sheet metal together useing a state of the art spot weilding machine.(and trust me,he used way more spot weilds than he would normally use) and the 3m guy bonded two same pieces of metal together with pannel bond.They hooked them both up on the frame machine toghter,and started pulling,guess what?the weilds started to pull apart on Jerrys pieses and not on the bonded pieses.We were all sold. Seeing is beliveing.