Thread: Fiero Shift Problems ?? should I buy?

Fiero Shift Problems ?? should I buy?

Well Im looking at my first Fiero, It seems to run and drive fine, It is a 86 GT with a V6. Its a little Mushy on the clutch pedal, and it grinds when you try to put it in reverse, The owner says that the Clutch cable needs adjustment and would be fine after that, IT will go into gear fine if you turn the car off, The pedal doesnt seem to be working untill it gets close to the floor. Whats your guys take? also what is some things I need to watch out for on these cars? thanks for the help.

Re: Fiero Shift Problems ?? should I buy?

Hi all,

Although I cannot answer your ?'s, there is a website that could! If you haven't been there before then go check out PFF, Pontiac Fiero Forum....http://www.fiero.nl create a user id and there are tons of guys willing to help out!
    Me, I sell engines, the cars are free.&nbsp; I need something to crate the engines in.... Enzo Ferrari......<br />Today they are called garage&#039;s, yesterday, they were stable&#039;s.&nbsp; Eric Jacobsen...

Clutch problems are the biggest factor in buying the car. It makes the difference between a $200 car and a $1200 car.
    If the clutch is suspect then go elsewhere. There are many fine Fiero's out there .. That being said, if you really want
    this car, its not the cable. You really cant adjust that (much). From simplest to hardest .. you are looking at bleeding the clutch line ($), or replacing the (bent) clutch pedal ($$) or ... replacing the clutch itself ($$$$). You can tell if its really the clutch (with a helper).
    Simply press the clutch pedal in, see the distance the salve clutch moves the pivot arm (its in the engine bay). If it moves
    an inch then its the clutch .. if it barely moves its (i) and/or (ii).
    Visit My KitCarOnLine Blog<br />http://www.kitcaronline.ca and Links Site at http://www.kitcars.ca

The last time I hear of this problem, it turned out that water got into the clutch cylendar and rusted the walls out just a little bit. It's funny how little the walls have to rust out before enought fluid will sneak by, resulting a clutch that will not depress. There are not a lot of 88's out there. If you can get a car with one bug for under $500, then I would go for it. If the only things that you need are a new clutch cables and clutch master cylendar, the for less than $500 in parts and you have a running car.

OK Im going back to look at the car now, Im taking a friend with me so we can inspect the clutch movement, clutch master cylinder, and look for leaks. I will let you know what I find, Thanks for your help guys.

Some wear I have an article on a simular situation.The clutch pedal may be slightly bent (if I find it Ill post it).
    The road to life is full of flat squirrels, who couldn't make up their mind!

Its an "archieism" on www.v8archie.com and point (2) in my post below..
    Visit My KitCarOnLine Blog<br />http://www.kitcaronline.ca and Links Site at http://www.kitcars.ca

Quote Originally Posted by bodyman
    Well Im looking at my first Fiero, It seems to run and drive fine, It is a 86 GT with a V6. Its a little Mushy on the clutch pedal, and it grinds when you try to put it in reverse,

The owner says that the Clutch cable needs adjustment and would be fine after that, IT will go into gear fine if you turn the car off,

The pedal doesnt seem to be working untill it gets close to the floor. Whats your guys take? also what is some things I need to watch out for on these cars? thanks for the help.
    Sentence two, there is no cable on a Fiero. If it is otherwise a niche car but it for a reasonable price. It sounds like you just need to drop the engine and install a new clutch, pressure plate, release bearing and slave cylinder.

Just my .02 worth.
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.