Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: (More) Ferrari Yellow Paint questions...

(More) Ferrari Yellow Paint questions...

Does Ferrari use different colors of yellow on its various models, or do they use the same yellow on every one?

Also looking for tips as far as repainting a red Fiero Formula with yellow. In your experiences, what are the best materials/best combinations to do the job right the first time? I'm thinking about epoxy primer and some sort of Imron (or similar) paint for the logest life and best finish, but I may be thinking that's the way to go due to misinformation over the years - I honestly don't know what's the best for Fieros.

Also, since Fieros have been afflicted with clearcoat problems from the start, I'm wondering if it wouldn't be wiser in the long run to have a couple more coats of paint added and skip the clearcoat (allowing the paint to be refinished with rubbing/polishing compounds if needed in the future) as opposed to sealing it under clearcoat which would require a professional to refinish it when the time comes. Or are paints formulated these days to require a finishing clearcoat layer? I know clearcoats have come a long way in 17 years, but I'm still hesitant.

Advice welcome!
    Patrick W. Heinske -- LZeitgeist@aol.com

Re: Ferrari Yellow Paint questions...

I am a strong believer in the epoxy paint. I used endura ( www.endura.ca )
    If you are doing yellow make sure you paint it white first. I wet sanded the white and then sprayed th yellow. One little spot where I sanded thru the white is visible thru 4 costs of yellow.

Jim

http://www.ferrariclub.com/faq/colors.html

Ah, answered one of my own questions...

Thanks for the advice - hadn't thought about the white basecoat being needed. Excellent point...

Thank you mister Dinner, I am going to be painting mine yellow in the next few months and i didnt know that .. that will save me a huge amount of heartache

Stuart

If you use Imron paint,dont plan on buffing it.It is harder than rock!! You will never get out the 1500 sand schratchs.

Actually, got a quote today that I'm gonna go for - going to use PPG 4305 with clearcoat, and a lifetime guarantee. Can't beat that with a stick.

Imron is great for show cars, but too hard for a daily driver...

I agree,

Imron = good for shows but not good for drivers.* Besides, many shops are trying to stay away form it.* There was some re-formulation after the respitory issues and bad rep that Imron was plagued with years ago.* It's hard a rock as mentioned above as far as wet sanding goes and on the other "side of the coin", it's so hard, it has no give and a rock with take it off the front of your car, 1 small nick at a time.

My friend and I served an apprenticeship in 1987 at a body and paint shop that he now owns. Old Imron was responsible for "more than a few" Respitory and lung issues and* quite a few "novice" or hobyist painters gave their life with incorrect respirators in garage paintjobs.

Paint has come such a long way since the "good old days",* The new formulas / base/clear provide great results for "drivers".* Finish is great, they are safer etc.* If you need to do a "garage" touchup, your not putting your life at risk etc* and they generally look very nice.

If anyone's curious, I'm in PA and my 91 XJS V-12 Jag was done by me in Imron. It's barley driven and stays mainly in the garage but does stay out when I have a project in.* Nice finish after all this time but it's "wear characteristics" are a bit different that straight laquer / Base Clear jobs. Imron was designed primarilly for Aircraft aluminum bodies.* (Not many rock chips up there.....)

Also,* White / light grey primer is a "must" according to most for light over dark color changes.* Especially from red / black/ etc.* Also, Yellow requires a bit closer overlap to avoid "lines" in the paint as it flashes.* The Dupont and Ditzler yellow laquers seem to really "leave the gun on the dry side".* By the time you get a good flow going, it tends to start to flash before you "get around" to the same point in the car.* Many painters seem to lay it on a bit heavier and at a closer overlap and then color sand.* My friend Mark actually adds about 5%-10% clear to the last yellow color coat. Then he shoots several thin clear coats and it really gives yellows and pearls a lot of depth.

Previous Builds: AF - 308 Replica w/ V8 & GM F-body Testarossa Replica
    Current Toys: 308 V8 Project #2, 91 V-12 Jaguar XJ-S Coupe. 1983 Hurst\Olds, 1979 Trans/AM - 468CID Bracket Car.

Those are some great points - the guy I found to do it is a real Pontiac enthusiast, and he's been shooting PPG paints for 18 years. I'm glad I've asked around in various places, 'cuz this has given me some excellent questions to ask and points to discuss with him in order to get the best final job possible.

Thanks again, gang...

That's "the thing" about paint:

It's an art. Watching a pro paint... it just seems so easy. For as many body guys that "have reasons" for not using / liking Imron, there are just as many that would praise it. It all depends on how they work. I love the way laquers look but hate the way they chip up on the road.

I've even seen some enamel jobs that look fantastic for a daily driver and they are much more durable. I'm sure you'll be more than satisfied with the job. The research and prep is the most important part. Like my friend says, "Prep is everything, - I can teach a monkey to shoot paint and have it look good".
    Previous Builds: AF - 308 Replica w/ V8 & GM F-body Testarossa Replica
    Current Toys: 308 V8 Project #2, 91 V-12 Jaguar XJ-S Coupe. 1983 Hurst\Olds, 1979 Trans/AM - 468CID Bracket Car.

More Ferrari Yellow Paint questions...

O.K. - here's another question...

Anybody know what the difference is between Ferrari Yellow and PPG 'Chrome Yellow'?

I know that online pics will not show subtleties of color, but is 'Chrome Yellow' considered to be 'pure yellow' or something? (Sort of like 'Reflex Blue' is considered 'pure blue' in color printing)...?

When I finally get this thing done, I want to make sure there's no white/cream/tan tint to it (like the OEM Fiero Yellow), and I want to make sure there's no orange/red in it (like a school bus)...

Thanks again (in advance) for advice.