Thread: removing ground metal bits from glass

removing ground metal bits from glass

Hello,
    When I removed the firewall and welded a new shelf in place and completed the flat floor on my 512tr, I managed to kick up a lot of ground metal that seems to have lodged on the inside of my beautiful tempered glass quarter windows, any ideas on how to remove this crap and make my windows clear and beautiful again, the ground bits didnt seem to have any effect on the inside of the fiero door windows, I guess the tempered quarter glass pieces are more senesitive, anyway if you look closely at the quarter windows you can see tiny metal fragments embedded in the glass and i would really like to remove them if possible!

Re: removing ground metal bits from glass

Sorry to tell you this but I think you may have ruined your glass. I made the same mistake on my Fiero door windows with weld spatter. The metal was red hot and it just melted into the glass since the glass has a lower melting point.

I have to replace them both according to the glass man who installed my windshield today
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Why is it we all learn this the HARD WAY!? I did the same thing to a '65 Mustang I was building about 10 years ago. Weld spatter and grinding sparks all stuck in the glass. Luckily I had to pull all the glass in order to paint. While i sent the car to paint i ordered a glass resurfacing kit from The Eastwood Company. It works basiclly like polishing your paint.. material IS removed so go slow and heat is generated so again go slow.. But you can infact repair your glass. I have to do the same thing to my OEM Fiero glass because of some scratches in the Drivers window from a bad dew strip.. So yes if its not too bad you can buff them out, its a 3 stage prosess but worth it if your glass is pricey. Best of Luck!

David
    Just smart enough to be very Dangerous

I was able to sand out this same condition. I used 1500 wet paper and then buffed it with rubbing compund. It was better but not 100%

Jim

Unfortunately, replacement is not an option as these windows were custom tempered pieces made for creative cars which is lon since out of business, so I must fix them as best I can, I wish I had messed up the door glass instead as that would be an easy fix

Not to get off subject on your thread, but do you have any pics or a discription of how you performed the flat floor conversion? I am doing this to a t-top car and would like to see how others have done it first. Also. What size fuel cell will you be using up front now? Thanks for any and all information you can provide.

Bob
    5 out of 4 people are not good at fractions

Quote Originally Posted by superstang460
    Not to get off subject on your thread, but do you have any pics or a discription of how you performed the flat floor conversion? I am doing this to a t-top car and would like to see how others have done it first. Also. What size fuel cell will you be using up front now? Thanks for any and all information you can provide.

Bob
    I guess side tracked!!! Kidding Bob.

We should have a flat floor conversion thread up. I'm sure allot of people would appreciate the info and pics.

David
    Just smart enough to be very Dangerous

That is off topic!!!
    I will post pics when I can but basically the metal console was cut out and flat pieces of metal were welded in, there is a steering rack support that attaches to the top of the console that i cut partially and secured with a cross bar. For fuel cells I actually got two upright plastic cells that will go inside the quarter panels, ahead of the rear wheel and behind the Cheese graters,in the area that radiadtors would be on a real tr.