Thread: 355 ride height

355 ride height

Has anyone driven, or ridden in the Fiero..BAD.. Extreme 355 replicas to give an impresion of ride quality.? ...the reason i ask is that i have just read hints of tea trolly handling and harse ride quality.. and i dont want to go into a build.. only to find it's undrivable. OK i know cars have to be lowered to some extent.. and theyed look big time silly with small wheels etc... but at the end of the day... will the huge wheels get the car out of shape if you hit asmall bump.. white line etc.. and along with hard susspension... make it a really nice looking car..... that cant really be driven daily.?

Si Gunson

Re: 355 ride height

Regardless if you lower it or not (within reason), the ride quality should be adjustable through the proper use of spring rate/shock-strut adjustment/sway bar size. By playing with these, you should be able to drive soft like a Caddillac or hard as a Trans Am race car.

Bob
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

All of the NVH is up to you. With a kit car, especially the Fiero, you can make many changes to the suspension to customize it to your likings. Sure, you can use very stiff springs, with hard shocks and until large heavy wheels and the car will be a monster on the road. If you want a good handling car that is smooth, the get your unsprung weight as low as possible, do not go over board on spring rates (and do not cut the springs) and get a good set of shocks.

I understand what your saying guys, but particularly the MR2/355 conversions which my brother and i are thinking off, i understand require lowered springs to get the correct look in ride height.. a 4 inch gap between wheel and arch would look silly on the 355 with stock MR2 springs, so lowering it would compromise the ride quality.. i just wonder how much.
    As for wheels and un-sprung mass... i understand that too... but again... the requirement for pretty big and wide wheels on wide spacers are required to get the 355 look... i guess my question is to the MR2/355 guys who drive on UK roads ... honestly... whats it like to live with one of these conversions on an everyday basis.? Simon.

if you get a roy kelly kit ,his kits are designed for the standard mr2 ride hight and suspension. i have had a fiero and a bad kit,the fiero kit was in a fiero and i had lowering springs fitted, it drove ok, the bad kit also had lowering springs fitted and did feel a little stiff, i could feel the bumps etcbut i didn't get the tracking done so it did have a bit of a shopping trolly ride, i have been told you need to get this properly aligned to help, iam shaw both extreme and bad will tell you there kits don't suffer from this better to ask the owners first.

Hi disilva.. thats just what i mean.. i need to hear from guys who actually own and run these cars.. on UK roads ... i'll post a new thread see if i can get more feedback before emptying the bank acount.! Simon