Thread: Towing a Fiero on a Dolly.

Towing a Fiero on a Dolly.

Hi, A friend just called me to borrow my trailer to tow a Fiero for a kit project. Has anyone used a tow dolly to tow a Fiero? I beleive people do if I'm not mistaken.

I want to do axles on my trailer before the Summer and lately I'm getting really hesitent about "lending things". (too many non returned tools and my last "friend" returned my HVLP gun without cleaning it! This and the fact that I'm in PA, he's in MD. Added Miles, and waiting for it to come back (along with liability I guess) make me want to just have him get a dolly.

Thanks,

Previous Builds: AF - 308 Replica w/ V8 & GM F-body Testarossa Replica
    Current Toys: 308 V8 Project #2, 91 V-12 Jaguar XJ-S Coupe. 1983 Hurst\Olds, 1979 Trans/AM - 468CID Bracket Car.

Re: Towing a Fiero on a Dolly.

;D Yes a dolly will work just fine. With a dolly you have to watch is how wide the car is. A wide car will not fit in between the dollies wheels. With a dolly he won't hardly know it's back there.

I have rented from U-haul in the past .. could go that route. I dont know if its just marketing or what but they say not to pull a Fiero by the front wheels alone. Same way a tow truck wont do it since its rwd. They would put the rear wheels on a dolly.
    Visit My KitCarOnLine Blog<br />http://www.kitcaronline.ca and Links Site at http://www.kitcars.ca

Thanks for the reply.

That's what I thought. For the $46.00 or so it costs to rent a dolly @ U-haul, It seems "not worth ot" for him to come all the way up here just to drive back down there, tow the car and then bring the trailer back. - Too much driving to save $50.

I told him pretty much the same thing. You'll never know the fiero is even back there on the dolly. Put it on, put it in "N" and go wild. (I'm just really getting tired of lending things like that.) I'm mean, it's not just a screwdriver or something. It goes through enough wheel bearings during my own personal use. Ya' know.
    Current Toys: 308 V8 Project #2, 91 V-12 Jaguar XJ-S Coupe. 1983 Hurst\Olds, 1979 Trans/AM - 468CID Bracket Car.

If he's towing any kind of distance, I think it's recomended to tow it backwards, otherwise the trans can be damaged. But if he's doing a kit, maybe he's not using that trans.

Bob
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

Yes sir.. if its an Auto then pull if from the rear, Even a few miles will burn the clutch packs up. If its a standard you can pull it either way. Just not sideways!
    Just smart enough to be very Dangerous

Good timing!.

I was just logging on for a follow-up. I would guess that (It's an Auto) towing from the rear would be the best bet. (if he wan't to actually be able to drive the car after that....)

I've been spoiled with the trailer but I want to give this guy a call and let him know it's ok.

He'll be going about 60 miles or so give or take. Other than backing it onto the dolly, turning the wheels straight and locking the steering wheel, does the owners manual suggest anything else??

With a maual trany you don't have to worry about the trany. With gas $2.00 @ gallon plus $50.00 to rent a dolly is cheap.