Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gasoline/Electric Hybrid spyder

Gasoline/Electric Hybrid spyder

Has anyone done a homebuilt Gas/Electric hybrid setup?* I would like to do it to a Beck 550 spyder.* Does anyone know if you can buy off the shelf components to do such a task?* Any websites devoted to this kind of foolishness?

Re: Gasoline/Electric Hybrid spyder

Not me,but if you do an internet search for Electric Fiero,you'll come up with a few web sights.I did see some guy on TV that used a lawn mower moter that charged the batteries and also ran the electic motor,so you could actually take a 100 mile trip (or more) without haveing to worrie about the batteries going dead.Not like some electric cars that run right off the batteries and eventually go dead.
    The road to life is full of flat squirrels, who couldn't make up their mind!

bump

One of the first electric vehicles made was with a 550 spyder. I think about 15 or more years ago. I beleive that there was also one that was drag raced also with a pretty good et, speed. Was electric only, no hybrid.

Mother Earth News and RQ Riley both sell plans for a hybrid. The ME uses a diesel 3 Cyl the RQR uses a gas generator.

Bill

There have been some electric Porsches done, 911's and I recall a 924 with a electric trailer, altho I don't recall the URL.

Here is some links that maybe helpful:

www.eaaev.org this is the Electric Auto Association
    www.electroauto.com a supplier of components

Obviously also Google "electric car conversions"

My guess on hybrids is that building a satisfying one might be expensive. Most of the manufacture's hybrids use extremely expensive battery packs and extensive real time control systems to make them work...

But keep us posted of your research, I'm sure there are lots of interested people !!

Have you considered bio-diesel powered, you can brew the stuff yourself.

Trevor

Thank you for the info. It looks like it might be pretty helpful.

When I first thought of this silly idea, I had intended to build it from scratch, but now I wonder if I could get my hands on a salvaged Prius. I could use the brain, battery, and motor. I could then mate it up to a Porsche type IV engine, (great affordable torque, and cabable of 40mpg).

In the end the project may be a disaster, but at least I will have tried. Maybe it will inspire someone with the real chitlins to get it done.

wayne

You would need to use the entire Prius drivetrain and transmission. The system is a regenerating system capturing the braking energy from all four wheels.

I would suggest you look through the articles and go that route. You will probably come out cheaper. I was considering the RQ Riley plan. There is someone on eBay that sells new 9 to 12 HP diesel engines. They look about the size of a riding mower engine.

Bill

you could always rebody a banged up or salve prius, but considering the same i'm not sure what you could try to make it look like. the shape is basically like a big loaf of bread, and a ferrari, porsche, lamborghini, mclaren, cobra, or anything else exotic will not fit that. in other words you would almsot have to make a custom body.
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com