Thread: VDO to Fiero

VDO to Fiero

Alright guys now you are going to have to work with me on this one as I am clueless on how to even start to wire up the new guages. I am looking to switch out my old guages with a cockpit series from VDO. I have seen the wiring harnesses online and know they are asking somewhere around $300 for one. Now I was wondering if anybody who has wired them selves have a diagram to follow or what. Maybe if there is a place to get one that does not cost and arm and a leg and just not as advertised as the rest. Any help would be great guys as I would really not like to spend $300 to wire up a set of guages that cost around $350. This would be going into an 85 2.8 v-6. Please feel free to talk to me like I am a damn 1st grader because i am just that clueless.

Re: VDO to Fiero

Hi Eddie.. I've got a harness I bought from painless I never ended up using. I didn't use it because I built a new harness from scratch for my V8. I can also set you up with all the scamatics too. Let me know.

David
    Just smart enough to be very Dangerous

pm sent

I cant take credit for this but here is the info i used to change over to VDO in my Diablo.* you also need to make sure that you replace the sending units for gas and oil and stuff to work with the VDO gauges.* if you dont you will get false readings.* some of them might be the same but i replced them all just to be sure.

purple/white----------------------ground for speedo
    solid yellow----------------------sendor for speedo
    yellow/white
    green/white----------------------not used
    solid light green----------------temp. sendor
    (larger)
    black-------------------------------ground
    pink/black------------------------12vts
    gray--------------------------------lights
    (2) dark blue--------------------right turn signal
    (2) light blue--------------------left turn signal
    pink--------------------------------fuel sendor
    brown/white---------------------check engine light
    white------------------------------tach
    dark green----------------------temp. hot light
    light green----------------------high beam light
    (2)tan-----------------------------oil pressure sendor
    (2)pink/black------------------12vt for volt guage
    all blacks are used for grounds
    all grays are used for lights(12vt+)
    all pink/black are used for 12vt+ at guages.
    there are two light green wires, the larger one is for the temp. guage and the smaller one is for the high beam light.

Does anyone know exactly which sending units I need to replace?

Eddie. the new sending units will replace the units for "each" new gauge you are installing. So if you are going with a 7 peice set you'll most likely replace the Fuel sender matching with new gauge, Oil sender matching with new gauge, Temp sender also matching with the new gauge. the speedo can use the GM speed sensor in the transaxle. the tach will hook to your coil hot+. Your volts gauge will wire to a 12 volt + and the clock if you run one will also run on the 12 volt+.
    that's it.

You can also get VDO's that will work with GM sending units. They sell a programmable speedo that will work with just about any signal.
    Even the longest journey begins with the first step.

kitcarnut

for oil sender:
    if you are using the fuel el. pump in tank, put Y connector. on one side would be OEM oil sender and on other aftermarket.
    the reason, when there is no pressure it shuts off the fluel delivery.

Thats a good way to set it up if you're running a carburated system. for the EFI it won't let the fuel pump pressurize the line becuase oil pressure hasn't been established yet. This is the same way Archie runs his conversions for carbed engines only.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie
    Does anyone know exactly which sending units I need to replace?
    if you did not buy the vdo gauges for the GM sneders you will have to replace with VDO senders