Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems with earthing the car?

Problems with earthing the car?

Dear all,

I am new to the kit car scene and I am trying to build a kit car which looks exactly like a Austin Mini Estate. I have all the donor loom and wiring from an original mini, but I am unsure how to earth the car and its ancilliaries. On an original mini the battery earths to the car body and then everything else earths also to the car body. Somehow I have to run an earth strap or something around the car and then join everything that has to be earthed to this? I have no idea how to go about this. Please, please can any body help?

Many thanks

Jon

Re: Problems with earthing the car?

All that is required is a battery cable from the negative side of the battery to the engine block. Then a smaller cable to the car frame and body. If a steel panel is rubber mounted and you are running electrical items on that panel, (tail lights) run a wire from the panel to the frame.

The car is fully fibreglass, it doesn't sit on a chassis like a normal kit car, the running gear sits on subframes like a normal mini. I agree I will run an earth lead to the engine block as normal, but then how do I put in a junction or something so that I can earth the dials, rest of the wiring loom, stereo etc? I am unsure how to do that after reading your post.

Thanks

Jon

Just run an extra wire from the battery negative to a terminal block. Run all your accessory grounds (earths) from there.

Bob

-edit: Try not to daisy-chain the grounds, ie run them in series, run seperate grounds to a common spot, such as the terminal block.
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

Thanks

Can you give me some tips on what blocks/connectors to use, or doesn't it matter aslong as I use good connectors that give a good connection? Sounds daft but have taken on this project, built up the car, then not thought about wiring at all?

Thanks

Jon

check out www.vehicle-wiring-products.co.uk they have everything you will need

Thanks, thats a good site.

RCR makes a very good point. SInce your car has a unique "structure". A ground block under the dash for example would be a good idea. His point about "daisy-chaining" the grounds is valid. Many people don't realize that you can create ground loops which can cause guages and electronics to go "crazy".

In the past, I had a 3/4 inch thick bar of aluminum milled and drilled to accept ground wires (screwed in). Everything in the cockpit had a good solid ground that way. I mounted it next to a custom fuse block under the dash.

Previous Builds: AF - 308 Replica w/ V8 & GM F-body Testarossa Replica
    Current Toys: 308 V8 Project #2, 91 V-12 Jaguar XJ-S Coupe. 1983 Hurst\Olds, 1979 Trans/AM - 468CID Bracket Car.

Would the bar you are talking about have to be kept away from the body work, or would that not matter?

Would the bar you are talking about have to be kept away from the body work, or would that not matter?
    It wouldn't matter, as long as it's ground (earth). Besides, if the body is fiberglass, it's non-conductive.

Bob
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif