Thread: Painting toggle switches

Painting toggle switches

I will be reusing the window, lock and mirror switches from my Fiero in my 355 interior. I have no problem with the fact that they do not look stock 355, but I do have a problem with how crappy they look after 20+ years. I plan on trying to clean them up, and change the color from light gray to dark gray or black. My question is how to paint plastic. What type of paint will stick to this type of plastic and what color do I get? I do not think that I want gloss black.

Re: Painting toggle switches

Paint has really come along way in the past few years.. If you have Auto Zone ,Advanced Auto or even Pep Boys. they sale bumper paint. usually in satin black or gray.. You can use that.. they sale Vinyl paint also which seems to peel after the sun bakes it. To get the best results use Bull Dog flex agent first.. it goes on clear and gives you an excellent primer to spray to.
    I've used these products myself for years with no problems. Satins are good OEM looking colors gloss is not. Good Luck!
    Just smart enough to be very Dangerous

Thanks for the help. I will be hitting the junk yard this weekend, and I will pick up some switches to practice with.

If you're going to the wrecking yard.. check to see if they have any BMW window switches. mid 80's 3 series.. this is what i used they wire right in. good luck.
    Just smart enough to be very Dangerous

There is also paint out that is good for plastic patio furnature...home depot carries it
    A Prancing Horse will ALWAYS back away from a RAGING BULL

Quote Originally Posted by lambo1
    There is also paint out that is good for plastic patio furnature...home depot carries it
    The paint you are talking about is Krylon fusion and it works very well on all types of plastic. it creates a chemical bond with the plastic and has a very durable finish.