Thread: Bondo technique help

Bondo technique help

I finally have my countach headlight pods hanging and the bulbs installed with my own design holders. They swing OK but they seem to move back on the initial start up, leaving me with about a 1/4" gap on the rear area. I need to spread bondo across the gaps and recut and shape them. I think it was "KitCarNut" who suggested this. Do I need to sand the primer and gellcoat off the fender where the bondo will overlap to get it to stick and not shrink? Would it be better if I used the stuff with the fiberglass already in the bondo? How much gap do I need to allow for the paint and clearcoat? I would hate to get it painted and find that they won't open again. This headlight thing is a real pain to begin with and I would hate to have to do it over after painting! Next I start the doors,,,,,,,,oh the questions then!!!!! 8)

kitcarnut

Re: Bondo technique help

yeah ,I would (or I did) sand it to the glass .bondo & fiberglass goes together well. No harm. There is a product it's call Vette panel adhesiver, it's maimly used on Corvettes to joint there body section. very hard when it cures. but I used regular autobody filler but the premium stuff. After all body work done I sprayed polyester filler over, sand and final two pack urthene primer . no shring ,no cracks, no bull. as for gaps you should get the motor hooked up and have solid movements, then do the final gap and clearance. Now the door? heh you are for some fun to come. BTW average base/clear paint job is around 6mil.Ed

LarryBud: I am at the same stage with my headlights (well just about) I have the pods hung and functioning up / down. But I was wondering what you did to mount your bulbs ??? . When you are ready to start you door's, Ask all the questions you need Thats what we are all here for. I have gone thru the doors on mine (still a couple bugs to work out) I still have nightmares about them LOL .

Hey Kitcarnut: Where can I get that Vette Pannel Adhesive at ?

kitcarnut

Trevor ask any automotive paint supply. not Can.Tire.If not sure go to some bodyshop and ask who's there paint and shop material dealer. there is RM,Dupont, Azko Noble,PPG, so on. here in Ontario is like 50$, yet regular bondo is15. a gallon. BTW I have oem parts list on Lambo headlites. only 3 Items shows. the sealbeams and pots as one unit.

Thanks Ed, I will check at my local paint dealer's and see what they have. So the oem lambo headlights are a whole assembly, I wonder how they house the bulbs ??. I have the 5 " sealed beams. I also have found some retainer rings, But I dont think they will look right, I think they are meant for the old Bmw's exc.

Trevor,

kitcarnut

Lamboman,the headlights assy.are something like this http://www.susquehanna.com/susq/hella/90mm.htm and looks to that the headlight door covers the both sealbeams.

Hello again, I used the rings and adjusters from a 65 ford fairlane. I started to install with the adjusters but then started over and just used the cups and rings. I made a bracket to hold them to the pod and will just bend the bracket to get the lights about right. Of course this entire assembly could fall to the ground after the first pot hole,,,,but it gets me past this first hurdle! On to the motors!!!! ;D