Thread: hood front clip alignment

hood front clip alignment

I am having trouble with my front clip hood alignment.* first off this i an IFG clone.* Didn't know AD355 existed when I bought the kit.* Anyway the problem is the curve of the hood and front clip don't match.* they are ok up until past the headlights.* The clip dives down more than the hood.* Is it possible the hood has straightened out some?* it has been sitting for a couple of years.* If so how do I get it to bend and hold a new shape?* If I lift up on the nose of the clip then the whole rest of the hood/clip alignment is off.* hopefully pictures will show what I am talking about.

What was I thinking??!!  I could have a VR4 Spyder for this kind of money.

Re: hood front clip alignment

Actually; That is not a bad misalignment at all compared to some I have seen. (Including mine)

Work from the front bumper back in the following manner. At the front, match your centre piece of the hood, (lower) with the front bumper top to where you want it to sit relative to the height. Make sure you adjust your height for the additional upper panel that you will be adding to the lower panel.

Make sure that front section is well stabilized and secure. You will notice that you have now either have the rest of the hood too low or too high for the fender sections.

From here, you will need to get several blocks of wood or something to prop up the rest of the hood lines to match up with the fender curves. Place blocks along each side of the lower hood panel until you have securely fastened the lower hood panel in the shape that matches the front bumper and the side fender curves.

One thing to remember is that when securing the blocks to the lower hood section, you will be putting a piece on top of the lower section so you may not want to use screws to go through the lower hood panel as you will not have access to the screw heads after bonding the upper hood panel.

Now it is time to match up the upper hood panel to the lower one.

Getting your bonding agent ready, set up the bonding agent on your panels as per instructions and then place you upper hood panel on top of the lower section you have in place and clamp/tape/screw whatever you want the upper panel to the lower panel to ensure the two are well mated until your bonding agent cures/dries.

When you take the hood off after fully setting, it should keep its shape to what you have set and clean up your edges and put your hood hinges on and you are set.

I want to recognize Dave Newman for this information as I was not sure what I was going to do with my hood panels either until I talked to him.

Hope this helps and good luck.
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

unfortunately my hood came already bonded together. I don't think there is much flex. In fact I assume there is some metal in there for screwing hinges, etc into
    What was I thinking??!!  I could have a VR4 Spyder for this kind of money.

Not sure if you can take it apart but if you can, you will need to to get the shape set up properly. May want to take a look at the bond area and see if you can pull it or cut it apart.

If not, then the other way is the first way I did mine and make a metal frame to bond the hood to. Take a straight piece of square tube, I used 3/4" sq but that or 1" should suffice. Cut slices along the length about every 8-10" and then curve the metal bar to that the top of it matches the fender curve. Take another square bar and put it across the hood section right at the same height as the lights doors mounting areas are. Shape it the same as you have the side fender bars so that it sits the right angle and shape for the hood cross section. Weld the side fender bars and the cross bar together.

The last piece is to make your mounting bars up from the hood hinges so that the front section between the light buckets has the correct angle as well.

You now need to mount the frame into the hood you already have. Lay the frame against the lower panel and mark where you need cut out the lower sections so that the frame sits up into the hood. Clamp everything together to get the right angles and shapes to the hood and start bonding it in. Lay glass over the frame until you have a couple/three layers so it won't move and bondo and sand to feather the frame into the hood.

I have attached a very quick Paint drawing to show you what my first frame looked like.

Good luck
    Don
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV