Thread: guage hookup on a v8

guage hookup on a v8

Being a new owner of a lambo conversion, (picking the car up in 10 days) I am going to need a lot of help! I am going to have to hook up some guages in the field in order to drive the car from Nogales Arizona to Mazatlan, Mexico (750 miles) The car has a Z28 302 engine; which is a 327 with a 283 crank- revs to 7500 rpm. I need to hook up a volt meter, and don't know where I connect the wires, and a water temp and oil pressure guage. I have digital guages with electronic senders; and need to know where on this engine the senders are installed. Sorry if I sound dumb, but I haven't seen the car yet, and have never owned an American built v8 before. The present guages in the car are cheap aftermarket, and dont read accurately from what I've been told. Thanks, Steve

Re: guage hookup on a v8

Steve not dumb at all.. Glad you care enough to hook them up unlike some people would just drive.. The volt meter will hook into the fuse block or just about any big gauge hot wire under the dash. The oil pressure sender will hook hopefully where the old one is. Just to the left of the distibutor, because its a V8 is should have the stock pressure sender and the aftermarket. The stock sender reads oil pressure and turns on the fuel pump.. so that one is needed. it will be the one with 3 flat prongs and only the 2 side ones are used. you will replace the other sender with the nes one. The water temp is at the front of the engine on the right side of the intak manifold. should be a 1/2" or 3/8" dia thread. the oil and temp all hook up with one wire. Hope this helps.
    Good luck on your trip.

David
    Just smart enough to be very Dangerous

Re: guage hookup on a v8

Thankyou David, I will work with that info and hope there are no other gremlins on the trip down.Steve