Thread: broken bolt question

broken bolt question

I was installing the valve covers on my Northstar and had a bolt brake off, just the tip so I could remove it, it neede to be drilled out. I started to drill it out and then the tip of the drill bit broke off. Any ideas on what to do now?
    P.S. the heads are aluminum so heat may not be good.
    I am in Lowell, Indiana<br />Building an 88 Fiero GT with a 93 STS Northstar and 5 speed Getrag. <br />Custom Mr. Mikes interior, Norms fiberglass nose and custom paint.

Re: broken bolt question

Is there anything at all to grab onto? If so you can heat the head up, because it is alum it will heat up quick and expand opening the bolt hole making it easier to twist the broken bolt out. If there is nothing to grab on to then you'll have to use a cobalt bit or something harder than the bit you used. please don't say you used a cobalt.. lol even if you can use a small punch to loosen the bit up and then get it out with a magnet.. good luck though.

Just smart enough to be very Dangerous

try circlip pliers the ones with points on. you can file the point of the tip to more of a point

ah, heres a trick if you can do it.

Take a nut and place over the broken bolt, even if the bolt is flush with the block.
    Then MIG a weld inside the nut and to the bolt.

Back out the broken bolt using your wrench.

I've removed a many this way and saved the day!

If you can pull that off on a 1/4" bolt broken below the surface without melting the alum threads take a pic and I'll give you a metal. Sorry Dcox, but that bolt is little. I've done that with a 5/16" using a tig but thats pretty guttsy. I see the thread getting
    fried.. Good luck
    Just smart enough to be very Dangerous

EEE, yeah i'm not sure what his specific circumstance is... he didn't say it was below the surface. this procedure works well for flush and above surface breaks.

Its below the surface and yes its small
    I am in Lowell, Indiana<br />Building an 88 Fiero GT with a 93 STS Northstar and 5 speed Getrag. <br />Custom Mr. Mikes interior, Norms fiberglass nose and custom paint.

I got the bolt out!!!!! YAAA...
    I had just enough of the back of the bolt sticking out the rear, thank goodness it was a corner bolt. Enough to rest the ground up againist. I then used the MIG welder and welded a few spot welds on top of each other, tapped the side of the head with a hammer and used a small pair of Vise grips. I built up the weld just large enough to fit the Vise grips. I had to do it three times though, the first started to turn and the weld broke off, the 2nd didn't really even connect much and the third worked. Thanks alot for the help guys, I don't even need to rethread the hole, the threads are fine other then were I hit it with the drill bit on the first 2 or 3 threads, but no big deal, it has about 12 to 15 more to hold on to. Just need to run a chaser down it and I should be good to go.