Thread: 308 / 328 Metal "Vents" What can I use ??? - Custom ??? Anything??

308 / 328 Metal "Vents" What can I use ??? - Custom ??? Anything??

Put on your thinking caps...

Does anyone have any good ideas on what I can use for the "Vents" behind the headlight "doors" on a 308 / 328 replica?* Or a place that can make them??

My last replica used a smooth headlight "door" and had a few metal vents like the original 308 / 328.* Some of the kits I see look the same as the one I had. Instead of posting 500 pics, I've included a few e-bay links below with what I'm talking about..

Some other 308/328 kits (like the one I have now) have these large plastic "vents" over the entire headlight assembly and extend back.* They are very "clunky / bulky looking" and I'm looking for something metal that I can use (short of trying to find orginals).

I'd also love to update the side vents (behind the door glass) at some point. They look ok but I'd love to have some metal ones made.* The plastic ones just don't seem "Sharp or defined enough".

Just to give you an idea:* The link below is what I'm trying to do.* See how nice the original vents look? - ....* Nice and straight, and clean etc.* The 2nd link is a replica with some decent grilles and the last link shows a replica with headlight covers like mine.* My car is red. I'm not sure If I want the smaller grilles/vents black or red but both look great I think.

Click on the photos that show the front of the car / headlight area.

Real Ferrari:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...549103735&rd=1

Replica 328 with nice looking headlights:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

A replica that has the same headlight covers as my current 308 - Mmmmmmm* Clunky!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Previous Builds: AF - 308 Replica w/ V8 & GM F-body Testarossa Replica
    Current Toys: 308 V8 Project #2, 91 V-12 Jaguar XJ-S Coupe. 1983 Hurst\Olds, 1979 Trans/AM - 468CID Bracket Car.

Re: 308 / 328 Metal "Vents" What can I use ??? - Custom ??? Anything??

I think if it were me I would build them out of Alum flat bar.. maybe 1" for the square frame and 3/4" for the slats. have a machine shop slit the sides of the sq frame and you can slide the 3/4" slats up into place. tig a small weld on the back side and you won't see anything.. clean and strong. Just a thought.
    Just smart enough to be very Dangerous

The fellow on the Genral chat said that the fiberglassworkshop put his 328 together. I wonder if he has the vents molds or spares in his shop?

www.thefiberglassworkshop.com

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Thanks for the tips. I was thinking about making them myself. I like the idea about slitting the sides and slipping in the flat peices. I'll have to do a mock up and see how they look. I agree, the lines of the aluminum would be so much more "cleaner" looking.

I'll check out the website as well. The headlight "doors" look like an easy mod or fabrication with another cars covers if needed. It's the metal vents that I'm concerned with.
    Current Toys: 308 V8 Project #2, 91 V-12 Jaguar XJ-S Coupe. 1983 Hurst\Olds, 1979 Trans/AM - 468CID Bracket Car.

kit4me you have a pm

Check out www.fibersmith.net The guy sells all sorts of parts for Mera/308/328s--including two different headlight vent attachements.

I was aware of the fibersmith headlight covers but I just don't care for the looks of them.

I should'nt have a problem fabricating the actual headlight cover but I really want to fabricate or find a set of nicer looking vents. looking at the real 308 , the fiberglass replica headlight covers/vents just don't look good (to me anyway)

I agree with you I dont like them either

They look ok / similar but it's just the "whole plastic vent look" that I just can't get past. Aluminum vents/grilles would look so much cleaner like the original car.

I've even seen a few replicas with the rear engine cover grilles made of fiberglass as well. The heavy aluminum ones just look so much nicer. I love my aluminum engine grilles, front grille etc. All I need now is the ones behind the headlights and I'm in good shape.