Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winshield Choices in 308 / 328 ?? - 355 guys - your opinions

Winshield Choices in 308 / 328 ?? - 355 guys - your opinions

I remember seeing a post somewhere about a person who installed a "more curved" / more original looking glass in his 308.

I was wondering if anyone has any updated info on this.

Also, now that I'm typing away...., I noticed some people doing "interesting things" as far as their 355's winsheilds. Other than the hood being different, the pillars are obviously the same. What is everyone doing for a more authentic winshield look??

These little things that did'nt bother me before are now becomming new projects now that the exterior is done. A more curved winshield would really help eliminate that "fiero" look.

Previous Builds: AF - 308 Replica w/ V8 & GM F-body Testarossa Replica
    Current Toys: 308 V8 Project #2, 91 V-12 Jaguar XJ-S Coupe. 1983 Hurst\Olds, 1979 Trans/AM - 468CID Bracket Car.

Re: Winshield Choices in 308 / 328 ?? - 355 guys - your opinions

The windshields that came over from Trevor in Australia are the way to go for any Ferrari kit in my opinion. Mine will be done next winter if I getthe chance to go down to the states some time this year.....

They were made for the 355, but they extend the bottom out by ~8 " in the centre so it adds much more authenticity to the look of the car.

I do not see why you could not do the same thing for your 308.

SpeedofSound has some spares up in the Pittsburg(?) area and John Watson has a few in Georgia. SpeedofSound will ship but John won't. John also has the extension piece that fits to the regular windshield placement and the extended windshield.

Look at FunnyWheels Windshield thread that Dave did. Huge difference in the look of the car.

Good luck
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Hi Don,

Thanks,

I was looking at the Funnywheels Installation.* I'm in the States.* Pennsylvania* so shipping would'nt be "too bad".* I'd make the drive to Pittsburgh with no problems. I'm looking deeper into the threads now.* I did'nt really see any reason that it would'nt work either.

Brian
    Current Toys: 308 V8 Project #2, 91 V-12 Jaguar XJ-S Coupe. 1983 Hurst\Olds, 1979 Trans/AM - 468CID Bracket Car.

I have never had anyone comment on my winshield (stock Fiero winshield on a Testarassa kit).Most people comment,like today, nice car.Modifieing the windshiled could run into some big bucks $$$ and if it gets chipped by a stone,you may not be able to replace it,or if you can, it's going to run into money again.
    The road to life is full of flat squirrels, who couldn't make up their mind!

Thanks again Don.* I just sat for 3 hours looking at all of the posts on the winshields.

"007" - I agree.* There is obviously an expense (I bought this car about 75% finished as opposed to the other one that I built).* I would'nt mind doing the job though and a spare winshield would'nt be out of the questions to have on hand.

The car* looks very nice and I do get quite a bit of comments on it.

I decided this year to "give it a rest" for Spring / Summer and gut the interior.* I'm going to make it look a bit more authentic and I'm going to try to make the door glass a bit more authentic as well by replacing the door glass with a "square'er" door glass and and a vent window like the real 308's.

Mabye with the vent window, newer / more accurate headlight area (including round headlights) I won't notice the winshield as much.* I've got the v8 ready to go so I want to make sure that car is exactly the way I want it when it's finished.

Brian;

One other option that helps reduce the cost of the specialized windshield is to use an Avenger windshield and build a surround for it.

The Avenger/Sebring screen is also talked about in here somewhere but I can't find the thread. Might be part of the windshield threads going on. The replacement screen still puts the bottom centre out about 8" and it is OEM Chrysler or whatever Avengers/Sebrings are.

The down side is the screen sides have a bit more bow to them than the Fiero screen sides so some work on the A Pillar fiberglass will be needed. The bottom of the screen also has a funny configuration so the stock Avenger wipers, I think, could fit on the original car. All that means is that when you pour the foam to get the extension to the interior dash sorted, it will have a funny configuration at the bottom to mate to the screen. You are building a surround anyway, so that is part of it.

Good luck. Lots of info here about all the various options.

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

I thought* I would chime in here and mention my thoughts on the windshield change and the reason I installed an extended one in FunnyWheels.

My first 355 produced comments like nice car.* I have even seen people walk completely around the car at traffic lights spewing forth expletives as they ran their fingers over the body of the Mirage kit.* Yep, it had a stock Fiero windshield in it too.

I personally was never satisfied with the Mirage.* Even though the Mirage was a nice kit, it lacked the small details that make it a 355 replica rather than a kit car. I have a neighbor who owns a 355 Spider and my car used to look different than his.* These days however, I donít get the strange looks from him.* He saw it the other day as he drove past and stated he was glad to see that I finally got a real 355. He was 50 feet away at the end of the driveway.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

In my opinion, the Air Dynamics kit makes the difference in the body work details (short hood, OEM bumpers, long decklid, Challenge rear screen, big door scoops etc.) along with the custom windshield conversion Duane Cox designed and we purchased from Trevor Price in Australia. (That process cost under $600 per glass and windshield pan and took 9 months to pull it off). I am glad I did FunnyWheels like I did. If a 355 owner thinks I have a real 355 from 50 feet, I feel the grand illusion is working. If you have the means to install the windshield, do so. I guess I have to change my car to an Ferrari 50 since it looks like a Ferrari at 50 feet, eh!

Here is a photo of a 355
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Hi, I have been busy and not on the forum lately. I do have curved windshields to sell . I am located in Montgomery county about a half hour from Philladelphia not Pittsburg. If any one needs one let me know.
    Steve

Sorry Steve;

I knew it started with a P but couldn't remember where.

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV