Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cooling lines

Cooling lines

As I now have the engine in the car, I am on to the cooling lines questions. I have put the frame reinforcements right where the cooling lines run along the side of the frame. I can't put the cooling lines inside of the frame reinforcement as it won't fit so I am into looking for other options for cooling lines. I have thought about putting the cooling lines down the centre tunnel but the A/C and heater lines take up any space I might have had under there.

I was at a bit of a stumbler for a few hours yesterday until I started looking at everything else that I have put on the car. I was trying to use the original cooling lines but positioned differently to get to the front but I found that my new front suspension also is in the way of the cooling lines where they go from the outside frame to inside to connect to the rad. It just kept getting more difficult to see how to fix this as I looked at more of the pieces.

An idea we had bounced around here a while back was to use the frame rails we welded in as the conduit from front to back. I went down that road and might have a workable solution in the end. I went to the hardware store and looked around at what I could use for pipe at each end.

I come out of the hardware store with 1" black pipe. This stuff is the same OD as the stock cooling pipe but a bit thicker walled. It is weldable as well which makes it easier to work with than the original cooling tubes.

I have welded the driver side front and back pipes so that each end has a location to attach the rubber pipe to. I am going to be all right with the rear area as it is pretty much exactly like the original. Comparison pic below.

The front is going to be a bit more of a challenge though, I think. I was going to use the black pipe right up into the area to connect the rad to but this stuff is big and ugly. It would work but it would not be pretty and I want pretty.

I think I will make up a coat hanger template with all angles and see if I can get a muffler shop to bend up some right sized pipe for me to get me out of the wheel well and into the front section. I can use rubber hose from there. Down side is that once I get the pipe bent and fit, it will be permanent so I have to make sure I route it to allow for everything else to come off without having to move it. Not an easy fix so far as it will need to go through everything. Looks like I will be sitting and staring at the wheel well and suspension for a while longer tonight.

Another option is to use rubber tube all the way from the wheel well into the rad and bend up some protective sheet metal to go around the rubber tube while in the wheel well. That may still be an option if I can't route the metal pipe properly. One thing with the rubber though is going around som eof the tighter bends may collapse the rubber tube so I would need to make metal pipe bends to surround the rubber to ensure it does not collapse.

Pics of where I am so far below.

Any ideas are welcome.

Don
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Re: Cooling lines

Couple more pics

Front of pipe as well as the rear comparison.

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Don:

I ran into the same challenge. I found a length of 1 1/2 inch aluminum conduit worked out quite well for my application. I went up the center under the fuel tank. I also had to go to the auto parts store to purchase 5 pre-shaped radiator hoses with an "S" molded in the hose, then cut off what I didn't need. The result was worth the effort.

I can email some additional photos to you if you need them.

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Dave;

I had not thought of the aluminum conduit idea. I like it. I think I will go out and get some today and have a try at it. I still don't know if I am going to have enough room under my frame beside the fuel tank though as I have the x-brace pretty tight up against the floor. The conduit will be MUCH easier to bend and shape as required as well.

I can reshape most of the same pattern as stock only adjust for the cross member being in the way of the stock location. Much lighter as well than the black pipe if I used all of it. Much prettier as well.

Excellent idea.
    Thanks
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Marine stores carry rubber exhaust hose imbedded with wire that prevents it from collapseing. Just an idea.

I went and grabbed some condiut at my local Hardware store and it is quite thick and I am pretty sure it is not Aluminum. I think I would need to find thin walled aluminum so I can bend it a bit easier or keep looking around.

While at the store, though, I saw 1.5" copper line and 90* and 45* fittings. I know I can solder that together easily as I have done WAY too much of that working on house renovations. It would be much cleaner as the fittings are much more form fitting and smooth versus the black pipe stuff I have tried out so far.

Would copper pipe work for this type of applicaition do you think? Would it withstand the coolant and pressures? I think it would but want to confirm before going that route.

Only thing is that I would cut away the caps in the frame braces and run the copper pipe all the way through the frame braces and then solder up the convolutions into the front rad area with fittings.

Thoughts?
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

hmm, i wonder if the copper will withstand the anti-freeze solution, (i don't know)...

Don:

You need to go to an industrial supply house that sells aluminum tubing. All of my stuff (tubing) cost $22.00. Contact a radiator shop and ask them where they get the tubing to make the inlet and outlet tubes for aluminum radiators.

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

I'll keep an eye out for the Aluminum tubing as my local hardware stores are a bust.

I finally found someone to build my new brake lines (metric with bubble flares) as well so I will be down in the industrial area this Saturday anyway.

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

copper will corode if you let it touch steel. it is called electrolisis.