Thread: Caddy 4.9 etc Can you Carb ???

Caddy 4.9 etc Can you Carb ???

I really have no interest in doing this but* I've searched quite a few of the Caddy sites for my own info.

Me and a friend were talking about my swap today.* He never really got too much into kits but he mentioned (what he thought) was a guy with a newer 4.9 with a carb - basically a non-ecm setup.

Is it possible to take the 4.9 and "retrofit it"* with carb and electronic ignition / basically a Non ECM (or* Non PCM car)??

Just curious if anyone has thought of ....... has seen ...... or is aware of anyone who has also had these impure thoughts......

My point of view has always been:* Why remove the Fuel Injection and go to a carb??* However I've seen plenty of SBC's that were former TPI's.* (Whether this was a plus or not, I guess is up to the builder.)* Just thought I'd start a topic and see what came up.* I'm more of a SBC guy and had great luck with my last V8 swap so that's the route I'm taking, but It was a nice thought and I always like to see new things.

Previous Builds: AF - 308 Replica w/ V8 & GM F-body Testarossa Replica
    Current Toys: 308 V8 Project #2, 91 V-12 Jaguar XJ-S Coupe. 1983 Hurst\Olds, 1979 Trans/AM - 468CID Bracket Car.

Re: Caddy 4.9 etc Can you Carb ???

Yes a two barrel will bolt on and you use a HEI distributer but this is a very easy swap I have the stock Eldorado's ECM with the 4.9 and it runs like it was made for the car very smooth and the power is great I would not understand why anyone would want to remove the fuel injection and step back to old technology but I'm not everyone and some like it better so do as you wish and make it your way.

I agree with you.* I'm not really a "fan" of removing F.I. for a carb either.

I've never actually worked on a 4.9 but I figured that an HEI swap would be do-able.* *What kind of HP (I'm wondering) could be acheived by removing the FI in favor of a Carb?* It seems to be a step backward to me too.

Mabye with some valvetrain work, cam work, head work , Exhaust,* etc and a 4 BBL carb instead of the 2BBL, or a tuneable Holley Projection system, (and of course not needing to pass emmissions) .... It would be an ok project but I don't seem to see that many performance mods for the 4.9.* I admit I havent looked that hard though.

Your setup seems to be the most straight forward (as opposed to removing the FI etc).* And I'm sure the reliability is much better.

Let me ask you this though,* On your setup now,* What year engine and ECM did you use and what kind of mods are available for the 4.9 ?* *The thing I like about the 4.9 's 4.6's , etc Caddy engines is that they just don't appear to be the average small block.* I think the look of them in the car is more appealing than the SBC.* Valve cover shape, intake etc just give it a "un-common look".

Current Toys: 308 V8 Project #2, 91 V-12 Jaguar XJ-S Coupe. 1983 Hurst\Olds, 1979 Trans/AM - 468CID Bracket Car.

I wish I could post a picture of my engine but that ability was taken away but you are right I have had both SBC and 4.9 and the 4.9 looks and fits much better. I like the fact that it fits so well without cutting the car up and you can run all the Caddy accessory's including the AC compressor it will bolt right up to the Fiero lines. in Texas AC is a life saver. My motor is out of a 1992 did I say it gets great gas mileage I will be checking soon but it looks like around 30MPG HWY with the five speed. PM me your email address if you want and I will send you some pictures of the engine. As soon as I find another good 4.9 I will put it in my 85 GT I'm sold on this engine for the Fiero. Good luck and have fun with it.

I have a 1993 DeVille 4.9L w/ 4T60E and matching ECM in my replica and love the low end power and looks as well. I'll try and post some pictures. It's in a Testarossa Fiero based replica. I do get 30mpg on the highway. It looks as if the engine was installed at the factory. I am also running a 75hp Nitrous shot. The motor only has 23K on it. I find it extremely reliable and fun to drive. I just purchased a 308 replica and will soon be having another 4.9L installed in it. I will be replacing a 2.8 with a Year One turbo set-up. I am dumping the 4 speed manual transmission for an automatic. My thought's are why drop the reliability of a fuel injected car for a carb? If you use the proper wiring harness and ECM there should be no issues with drivability or reliability. If you do want to see carb'ed set ups there are plenty on Penock's Fiero site. Take care. Bill

Thanks for the input guys. What is the appx HP of the 4.9 ?? Are there any suppliers for aftermarket parts??

Thanks,

The 4.9 is not a drag race motor it is 200 Hp and very torqy. Most people that do the 4.9 swap like myself want a good dependable V8 that will get 30MPG and still out run most factory production cars. I would suggest a SBC swap if you want a hot rod to hop up. The 4.9 is really not made for that. Some have put turbos on them but I like mine just the way it is. I had a SBC car and hated it but after going with the 4.9 it is perfect for what I want, others hate them but that is why we have so many choices so we all can be happy.

Good point(s).

My last kit was a SBC and I was happy. I'm not heavy on the foot (at least in this car). It's more of a weekend driver every now and then.

The appealing points of the 4.9 ( to me anyway): Are good gas mileage, nice fit in the car, a design that allows you to use the factory accessories, pulleys and belt, etc,. Ideally, I'd like to build the the SBC for about 325HP. The engine I built for the last one dyno'd at 380HP which I felt was a bit too agressive for the car. Harder on Gas, Hotter Running, Rougher Idle and overall, a little less "fun/reliability was sacrificed for more power.

I would be fine with a nice sounding V8 with moderate power. I think I would still like 300HP as a minimum but the more reliable, better gas mileage of the 4.9 also sounds appealing.

How was the job re-wiring / adapting the Caddy Computer?? Also, I had the oppurtunity a few months to pick up a Brand New 4T60 (no electronic) from GM. We installed the transgo shift kit, and some of the upgrades used on the Raptor Transmissions that many of the 3800SC guys often use. Would there be many issues with the 4.9 mating to the non-electronic auto trans??

Also, I like a noticable idle. Not obnoxiously loud but "throaty/deep etc. How do the 4.9's sound in that respect? I guess I coud go listen to one but I appreciate all of the comments.

I'm always open to new ideas. Although, I'd like a bit more HP, The overall look of that motor in the car has great appeal to me. Being 37 now, every car I have does'nt need to be a Drag Car anymore. Reliability goes a long way ....

I wish you were close I would take you for a ride in my 4.9 I do not know about the Automatic Trans. I have not done one all my cars have been Five Speeds. I think my 4.9 sounds better than my 350 Chevy did There is a web site that has a 4.9 running and they reb it up a little. I used the stock V6 muffler and it sounds good and at hwy speed you barley here the motor but at Idle and taking off it will let you know there is a V8 in there.
    http://www.fortunecity.com/skyscraper/switch/67/

I was thinking the same thing.* I wish you were closer.* I'd love to see one in person in the Fiero.

I took a look at a few junked Caddy's (Not really for the motors but just to take a good look at the way the engine looks.)* I must admit, I do like the looks of the engine.* The accessories, belt etc are so "compact" and the fit just would seem to be so nice in the engine bay of the Fiero.

I guess I could always "toss" on a 75HP NOS shot.* I still have a powershot bottle and I'm sure the attachment to the Caddy motor would be a fairly easy project.

I know they are usually mated to the Electronic Auto Trans but I'm sure the Non-Electronic would perform just fine.*

I may seriously consider the swap.