Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mould making?

Mould making?

I may be able to get my hands on many or pretty much all of the exterior body pieces
    from a 98 viper RT10. My question is would it be possible to create a mould of some sort or something
    to replicate the pieces without damaging the originals so I can have replica original body pieces and then
    I could sell the originals?
    Any ideas?
    Thanks.

Re: Mould making?

yes put glad wrap over the parts then apply the object you are using to make the mould just make sure you dont tear the glad wrap or put any holes in it

I have a mold of a viper hood both the in side and out side it is not easy send me a pm for more details.
    Thanks Leslie

I know people say yes its possible to make molds from the OE parts without damage.. I have yet to see molds taking from parts without "any" damage.. something always seems to get caught in the release.. Resins and epoxies are not friends with paint..
    I've heard of elmers glue over the parts for protection. I've hear of plastis wrap.. foil.. Keep in mind the mold done correctly should be appro 3 times the thickness of the finished part. so with the thickness of the mold and all the reinforcement, its pretty rigid. corners seems to suffer the most.. parts may need to be repainted due to being scratched. but please don't plan on pulling a mold and not having atleast something scratched..
    My 0.02

Just smart enough to be very Dangerous

I'd approach this by 1) waxing the heck out of the original parts - at least four coats, then 2) using that green, stinky, spray-on film I can't remember the name off. Forget tinfoil and Saran Wrap - they're not only poor protection but you have all kinds of wrinkles in your molds.

Explore new mold release products - I've been out of the biz for a while.

I've NEVER done a mold in my life but I usually read most of the posts on "how-to-make-bla bla bla"....So I don't really have any answers to the original question by jack999..However I have more basic questions of my own...

1) why would you care if the panel you're making the mold from has the original paint peeling off or slightly damaged in the process?? If you're going to resell the original panel to someone who needs one, most likely they will have to repaint it anyway (to match their car)....So what's the problem?? It's impossible to buy used parts (like Viper panels) without any scratches or blemishes at all....Even NEW parts from the dealers come unpainted....So don't worry about scratching the paint of the original part if you're planning to resell it....of course it's another story if you're making a mold off YOUR OWN car panels - then I would be worried...

2) Why is it necessary to have a mold of the top of the hood (for example) and also the inside of the hood?? Why is that for??

3) When making a body panel mold in general, which side of the original panel are you using to "mold" the fiberglass part?? For example, if I want to make a "copy" of my front fender off my Porsche 928, I would use the outer fender skin to splash the mold, right?? (not the inside part, which is all covered with road crap and undercoating)....

Thats all the questions for now - I'll shut up now :-X

Vasilis
    Life is too short to be driving Hondas!

1) why would you care if the panel you're making the mold from has the original paint peeling off or slightly damaged in the process?? If you're going to resell the original panel to someone who needs one, most likely they will have to repaint it anyway (to match their car)....So what's the problem?? It's impossible to buy used parts (like Viper panels) without any scratches or blemishes at all....Even NEW parts from the dealers come unpainted....So don't worry about scratching the paint of the original part if you're planning to resell it....of course it's another story if you're making a mold off YOUR OWN car panels - then I would be worried...
    Hmmm??? Good point

2) Why is it necessary to have a mold of the top of the hood (for example) and also the inside of the hood?? Why is that for??
    The top obvious...It's the finished external surface. The bottom is used to support the top and make it stronger. Plus, it provides a finished look.

3) When making a body panel mold in general, which side of the original panel are you using to "mold" the fiberglass part?? For example, if I want to make a "copy" of my front fender off my Porsche 928, I would use the outer fender skin to splash the mold, right?? (not the inside part, which is all covered with road crap and undercoating)....
    yes, outside of the panel. The mold will make a reverse image of it, so that the part that comes out of the mold will be identicle to the original, surface finish and all.

Bob
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

Tin is correct. The best way is to wax the living Hell out of the parts and then spray at least 4 coats of PVA (poly-vinyl-alcohol) Mold Release... the green sticky film stuff. If you make the molds multi-pieced, it makes it a lot easier to pull the part out. Otherwise, you'll have to find some way to pull it out without having any edges to work with. EEExotic is correct also about the paint issue. Waxing the part will help a lot, but there still is no guarantee it won't peel off somewhere.

Email if you need any more info or help. WraithInnovations@Hotmail.com

Ken

Thanks Bob and Ken for the simple explanation...

Is there a website with PHOTOS that goes thru of this mold making process?? I know that for most of you replica builders such information in trivial....However I'd like to see the process in photo details to get a better understanding and of the materials used....Another users who've never worked with fiberglass molding could benefit also.

If anyone has located a good website with PHOTOS (that's important) please post it here for everyone.

Thanks

VK

Life is too short to be driving Hondas!

John Watson is a master of fiberglass. He helped design and build the Corvettes in the early 80's as a GM engineer.

He can point you in the correct direction.

His phone number is 706-328-3311

Regards,

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.