Thread: 3800 Wiring Harness Question? Need Help!

3800 Wiring Harness Question? Need Help!

Is a wiring harness from a naturally aspirated 99 Grand Prix 3800, compatible with a 2000 Grand Prix 3800SC and 3800SC PCM? Will it work together?

Trying to help out a friend who is missing his original SC wire harness.

Any suggestions and/or help is always much appreciated.

-Rob

Re: 3800 Wiring Harness Question? Need Help!

I have the same configuration in reverse on FunnyWheels.* Duane Cox helped me get the car running.*

If the ECU you are using is the one to use from a Supercharged engine, it could be no problem.* No pass key problems either and the chip in the ECU can be programmed to produce more HP.*

I am using mine without a Cat and it is a sweet sounding engine that will eventually get a turbo attached to it rather than a supercharger. You might be able to make the circuits work on your engine by adding the bits that are missing from the SC harness and checking with the Pontiac dealer to insure the ECU is the same except for the PROM in the system. Duane could give you the answer.

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Quote Originally Posted by scarabb7
    Is a wiring harness from a naturally aspirated 99 Grand Prix 3800, compatible with a 2000 Grand Prix 3800SC and 3800SC PCM?* * Will it work together?

Trying to help out a friend who is missing his original SC wire harness.

Any suggestions and/or help is always much appreciated.

-Rob
    In a word 'no'. There is an electric solenoid that controls the supercharger pressure. Boost Solenoid circuit.

Jim

In a word 'no'. There is an electric solenoid that controls the supercharger pressure. Boost Solenoid circuit.
    Actually, technically, Yes. But, you will need to add the missing circuitry wiring and probably have to re-pin the ECU connectors as well. Most of the wiring should be the same/similar.

Bob
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

Thanks for the feedback,

Although both wiring harness' are fairly similiar, the tiime and effort to re-wire the non-SC harness to include the SC as part of it, would probably be greater than just attaining a SC harness which is already pre-wired from the start.

In essence, A SC wire harness will work on a non-SC w/o problems, as opposed to a non-SC wire harness working on a SC engine.
    Woh, that was a mouthful!

Thanks everyone for the input

-Rob

Rob:

Close enough for the kit car builders. I would look into what is actually missing from the harness. GM makes most of their stuff close enough to other models that it might be a simple matter of adding minor things to get your harness functioning properly. I removed 60% of my harness due to the 5-speed and luxury accessories attached to my car.

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Dave,

I know GM makes most of their parts all interchangeable with other models to keep cost down, just didn't know if that applied also to Superchargers/turbos and other upgraded additions.

This wiring harness is for a friend who has a non-SC harness available. I have sent my harness to Loyde at Fast Fieros to make the conversion compatible for my 355 Spyder. I saw the pics of your harness and I would be completely lost in wires! It would be easier for me to learn Chinese instead...LOL.

-Rob