Thread: VDO Oil Pressure Gauge

VDO Oil Pressure Gauge

Please forgive my ignorance. Electrical has never been my strong point.

I'm installing an SI Interior and am putting VDO gauges in it. So far everything is working good, except the oil pressure gauge. I installed the VDO pressure sender and wired it how I thought it should be wired and it just pegs all the way to the right. After searching here and on Pennocks it seems I should be running both the stock and VDO senders. Is this correct? Then, how does it get wires? Right now I have power from the ignition switch, ground and a wire to the sender. If that's correct then shouldn't it work on it's own, without the stock sender?

Thanks in advance.
    Rick Lord<br />http://www.kingdomcustoms.com<br />http://www.desertlord.com/galleries/.../signature.jpg

Re: VDO Oil Pressure Gauge

Just from what you said it sounds like it is grounding out. Are you sure you are not using a grounded wire?

Are you running a V6 or V8?? If you are running a V6 you need to still use the OEM pressure sender for the computer to work right. So the new VDO will need a new wire ran up into the gauges.. don't use anything on the threads of the new sender, that is where it grounds itself. I'm sure you knew that. Mike is right about how its pegging out def sounds like its getting grounded.
    you can also try disconecting the gauge while the key is on. use a wire tester to see if its a ground or hot wire. My oil pressure gauge was the only one that gave me troubles too. regardless run a new wire. if you're running a V8 you have to use the OE pressure gauge just to turn on you feul pump. same thing applys tho.run the new wire you'll have no problems.. good luck!

David
    Just smart enough to be very Dangerous

I'm so confused. ???

It's the stock V6. Right now I don't have the stock sender in. I still have to get a T fitting for that, but figure I can get this figured out until then. The gauge has three terminals. +, -, and S. I have a wire from the + terminal to the ignition switch. I have a wire from the - terminal to a chassis ground. And I have a wire running directly from the VDO sender to the S terminal. There are no other wires on the gauge or sender. Is that correct? I didn't use any sealer on the threads. With this setup it pegs all the way to the right. With the ground cable removed it stays to the left. What else can I check?
    Thanks.
    Rick Lord<br />http://www.kingdomcustoms.com<br />http://www.desertlord.com/galleries/.../signature.jpg

Check sender part#.* Must match pressure range on sender to gauge.
    VDO OIL PRESSURE electrical:
    80 psi 240-33 ohms(U.S.), kit w/ sender* # 350 1041
    100 PSI " "* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *# 350 1061
    150 PSI " "* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *# 350 1081
    If needle is pegging when engine is off, then there may be an unintentional grounding of the S wire.

Sounds like the wiring is all done correctly.. The VDO sender has a one year warranty, I bought mine installed everything and it did excatly the same thing yours is doing.. my sender was bad. I knew the sender matched the gauges because I bought the kit with everything needed. I'd bet your brand new sender is no good. in the last year i've heard of 4 times this has happened. just me.
    VDO needs to look into this.
    Call the customer service in allentown PA. sorry I don't have their number off hand.

David

I forgot one thing.. did you test the resistance in the sender? customer service will give you the specs. if its off, its bad.

If you had a stock Fiero oil pressure gauge in your car, the OEM wiring will work if it attached to the new VDO gauge provided you have the correct oil pressure gauge for a Fiero. If not VDO will swap it out for you. They were great to work with when I had to trouble shoot mine to get everything functional.

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

I finally got to work on it a bit more today.
    FunnyWheels, do you mean I should be able to use the VDO gauge with the stock sender, as long as I have the right gauge? I did have a stock oil pressure gauge before. I was going to try to reinstall the stock sender and see how what that did with the VDO gauge, but the thread adapter is now stuck in the hole with no way of getting it out so that isn't an option. I did notice a bit of oil on the floor under it so I probably didn't have it in all the way, but I still should have had some pressure. I put the VDO sender back in making sure I tightened it up all the way and still no luck. Can someone explain how this works? If I knew that I'd know what to look for. With the car running I measured 14.7 VDC at the + terminal on the gauge and 6.97 VDC at the sender. Still, the gauge was pegged all the way to the right. Just for fun I unplugged the ground from the gauge and tested about 14.7 VDC at the sender. The gauge slowly dropped to below 0.
    Is there a way I can test to see if the sender is good?
    Why do I need to run both VDO and Stock senders? It seems to run fine without the stock one now. Now that I have the thread adapter stuck in there I imagine it will be difficult to find a T fitting that will work for me.
    Thanks.

To test the VDO gauge, one side to ground and the other to +12 volts.* The gaugage should peg out.* The Fiero sender can be used with this gauge (confirm with VDO).* I even used the same pig tail from the Fiero to attach to the VDO gauge.

Here is the site and a list of what you will need:

http://www.egauges.com/vdo_grou.asp?Series=Cockpit

A clean installation for every application. VDO Instrument Kits include the gauges and senders you need for an easy installation. Kits include either mechanical speedometer or LCD programmable speedometer with sender (Hall Effect, 16 pulse, 7/8-18 thread), electrical 80 PSI engine pressure gauge with 1/8-27 NPT thread sender, electrical 250 degree Fahrenheit engine temperature gauge with 1/2-14NPT thread sender, fuel gauge with 6 inch to 23 inch tank depth sender, and voltmeter. All gauges except speedometer are 2 1/16 inches in diameter. Kits are not appropriate for VW applications because of US thread senders.
    All Cockpit Black Series Gauges feature Traditional (side lit) lighting unless otherwise indicated in the "Notes" for that part.
    Please contact us with your questions about parts on this page: Email: question@egauges.com

120 MPH* * 3 3/8"* * * List price$485.00, Their selling price, $276.45* * * * *

Part No: 600-924* Notes: with 3 3/8" LCD Programmable Speedometer and 2 1/16" diameter gauges. Panel not included, Black face like on Ferrari, gauge says VDO not Ferrari Horse.* They will exchange the 120MPH Speedometer with one that says a higher MPH if you wish.* The Clock and Tach will need to be added to the kit to have the complete set of gauges.* Those two items are Part No: 333-055* Notes: 12V, 4-6-8 cylinder, ignition hook-up w/ shift point indicator. part. 7,000 RPM* * 3 3/8"* * * List Price, $126.50, Selling Price $94.88* * * These clocks come with Quartz movements and seconds hands. 2 1/16"* * * Selling Price, $51.00* Part No: 370-951* Notes: Quartz movement, with sweep second hand.

So you need the Following:

Cockpit Series, Black Face Part 600-924, $276.45
    Cockpit Series, Black Face Part 333-055,* * 94.88
    Cockpit Series, Black Face Part 370-951,* * 51.00

Total* * * * * * * * * * * * $422.33 plus $15.00 Shipping

Call them and they will send the correct gauge if you have the wrong one for your car.* If you have the correct VDO part, they will tell you the proper way to hook it up.

Phone: 1-800-303-6211 (313-533-0711 outside the U.S.)
    Hours: Monday-Friday: 9am-5pm ET / Saturday: 9am-3pm ET.

Regards,

Dave*

If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Is there a way I can test to see if the sender is good?

Test the resistance in the sender. Flip your tester to Ohs, put the ground on the body of the sender and the positve on the sender terminal. this will give you the resistance reading. my sender should have measured 10 Ohs, it measured 5.5 and it was bad.
    Brand new but still bad. depending on the PSI of your sender, it will differ on the reading. VDO has this listed on there site and in the directions. Hope this helps.