Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Questions about engines (i'm newbie =/ )

Questions about engines (i'm newbie =/ )

Hello my friends ! I wanna build a 355 kit , but i have a couple of questions about this kit .
    1 . I wanna know if a Porsche 996 Long Block engine http://www.911pcar.com/images_old/00%20996%20lonb%20block%20%202%20.JPG* fits on a AD355 kit.
    2 .With this engine is possible get the ferrari sound or closer ?
    3. There some kind of size diference betwen AD355 kit and a original ferrari 355 ?
    4. What kit is closer than a original 355 ?
    5. If this engine don't fit on the kit there is a another porsche engine ho will fits ?
    6. Do u have some website with some photos of your 355 replica ?

sorry, if i was making stupid questions .... !

Thx !!!

Re: Questions about engines (i'm newbie =/ )

the AD 355 is one of the closest to the real thing, but it's not identical since it would not fit on a fiero. this just measn that every panel wouldnt just bolt on to a real 355, but otherwise it looks almost the same as the real car.

the porsche engine probably would not fit as it would go into the bumper by my rough measurements. porsches are also expensive to maintain, and have a pretty unique sound that isnt like a ferrari engine. a bmw v12 will do best but it's very big (long) and i'm not sure it would even come close to fitting inside. stick to a transverse v6 and you should get a good engine sound with a proper exhaust, and the performance should be good too. using a porsche engine will not get you porsche performance, especially if you use a fiero as a donor car, so save your money and spend it on an engine that fits.
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

With a Ford or a GM V8 engine , i can get close of the ferrari sound ?
    Fiero donor... , no , i will build my tubular chassis ....
    So the AD355 + OEM parts cant get's close than a original 355 ?

Thx !

LucasMarson - if you could get close to a ferrari sound easily with a ford or GM engine, then there would be tons of people out there with ford or gm's that sound like a ferrari! So the quick answer is no, you can't get an authentic ferrari sound out of a ford or GM engine easily. Throw enough money at any problem and you will likely overcome it, but let me be the first to tell you getting the ferrari sound out of your engine is going to be the least of your problems on your future build

well said ari.

if you're using a tube chassis, then the AD should fit fine and it will look like the real car. use an extended windshield to get the looks of the real car.
    an american v8 will not get that ferrari sound, they were never meant to, and never will without variable cam timing which will cost more than a ferrari 360 engine to install.
    i would say go for a Lexus/Toyota v6 [or V8 if you're desperate for power] and turbo it. it wont be the ferrari sound, but as close as you will probably get. another thing to look at is the honda VTEC engines, but they are 4cyl as far as i know.

getting the body to fit well on a tube chassis will be a huge undertaking in general, so i would suggest leaving the drivetrain stuff until later.

tube chassis $3000 + kit $7000 + $800 shipping + windshield and glass $450 + taillights $600 + emblems $100 + other lights $1000 + paint $2500 + wheels $2000 + interior $2500 + steering wheel $200 = $20150 without any mechaincal parts or engine /tranny, and the prices I listed were pretty low, and also if you dont do everything youself, the prices will be double.

my question is how serious are you really if you're considering $7000 engines? if you can afford to spend $55000+ on a 355 replica, you could buy a real one for $5000 more, or buy a testarossa / 348 / 308 / 328 for that price range.
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

I realy wanna get closest from the original thing, a tube chassis in Brazil isn't so much expensive as it is on USA. I think, the most expensive part of the replica it's the body kit, because i have the shipping costs and some taxes when the kit arrives in Brazil.
    A Ferrari in Brazil is a very expensive thing ! A 355 costs arround R$249.000 - 350.000, and a if i build a replica i will pay arround R$69.000 - 82.000.

So do u know some kind of Ferrari Dismantler ? (Ho have an Website like 911pcar.com ?)

Thx

Quote Originally Posted by AutoMX
    the prices I listed were pretty low, and also if you dont do everything youself, the prices will be double.

my question is how serious are you really if you're considering $7000 engines? if you can afford to spend $55000+ on a 355 replica, you could buy a real one for $5000 more, or buy a testarossa / 348 / 308 / 328 for that price range.
    Exactly right. I am at that point too.
    I paid $4000 for tires/wheels, $7500 for kit w/ windshield, $2500 for front slalom tube suspension w/ coilovers, $3000 for rear tube cradle w/ coilovers, about $10,000 into ford V8 and custom tranny/differential setup, $4000 for upholstered interior, and roughly about $15,000 in OEM ferrari parts such as headlights, challenge grill, etc.

That is almost $50,000 for a fiero with ferrari body panels on it, and I am not even close to being done. I have listed the link on here before for a real 1995 355 berlinetta sold for $55,000.
    5 out of 4 people are not good at fractions

Here is the link for the real 355 that sold for $55,100.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6212

Sad, I have more than that invested into my fiero chassis. At least I can afford the maintenance and insurance
    5 out of 4 people are not good at fractions

thats why that 308 rolling chassis was a real steal at $4500. it had a full body, 2 taillights (need just 2) headlights, all the glass, almost all of the interior, suspension, and even the original rims. for literally $11000 the guy who bought it could have a 350hp 308 (not a replica!) with a clean title and a real ferrari chassis/VIN. if i only had the money!

tube chassis cost isnt just a cheap lump of metal and a guy to weld and cut it. you need working suspension parts, axles, steering, gas tank that wont explode, electrical work, etc... not cheap by any means, nomatter where you may be. also the taillights will be alot of $, and there's no cheap alternative. even the corvette ones will cost $80+ if you can even find them.

try www.ferrariservice.ws

Stang I feel your pain. But I did take FunnyWheels for a test drive around the block today. I am still smiling. I thought of doing a 911 engine in my car once by making it a mid engine configuration. You can flip the ring gear on most 911 transaxles to put the engine between the wheels like any mid engine car. It would sound good and need no radiators.

I personally think the AD kit looks very close to a real 355 if done correctly. I still have a few things to finish up but I feel good about the results so far.

Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.