Thread: Front to rear

Front to rear

Hi! I'm kinda new arround here, but I follow kitcar scene for a long time. I'm interested if it is possible to install engine and transmission from a front wheel drive car to the back? What i had in mind was something like Alfa 2.0 engine with selespeed shifter - or something that is electronically operated to be placed in a mid-engine configuration. I'm sorry for any misunderstanding, but english is not something that I'm really good at ) And bu selespeed I meant auto transmission. And one more question- is it possible to relocate engine and trans from up front ( mercedes drivetrain, for example) to the back and mate it directly to the rear differential, or maybe using exra short driveshaft?
    Aleksandar

Re: Front to rear

Anything is possible over all, but mating a front engined car that is a rear drive car would be quite long to mate directly to a differential./

You have a ~30" engine with an~30" trans mating to a ~12" differential, you would need 6' anyway to put it all into a rear engine configuration. You would be better to take a Mercedes engine and make an adaptor to put up against a Porsche trans or an Audi trans to get the rear engine in place.

Putting a front wheel drive engine into the rear of a kit is pretty much what Pontiac did with a Fiero. They took the front wheel drive from a F body series, I think, and put it into the back. If you wanted to do the same thing, you can do that and just make a cradle for it so that it sits inside the rear suspension mount points and the use the front suspension as well to get the hubs etc.

Again, anything can be done but do you want to go through that when the Fiero already has it? Unless, you are not able to get a Fiero over where you are.

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

;D Just to get facts straight, the Fiero used the X-body(Citation) front for the rear. 8) F-body was the Camaro/Firebird. Everything Don stated about moving drivetrains around I agree with.

Bob
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

Thanks for the clarification Bob;

I knew it as a letter body of some sort but no idea what one. ;D

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV