Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Researching a 240Z - 250GTO project

Researching a 240Z - 250GTO project

Just starting out on this kit car thing and trying to tap into your experience. I've longed to undertake a 240Z/250GTO project for years and I've now contacted a kit supplier here in Sydney Australia. I'm having a little trouble finding a donor car - they are either rubbish or high-priced restored examples, but I'm sure something will come up. I'm particularly interested in those modified with a V8. I'm even toying with the idea of fitting a V12 Jaguar to match the engine configuration of a genuine 250, but I'm probably getting ahead of myself. I've spotted a couple of photos on the forum that show the perfect wire wheels I want. Can someone tell me what brake/hub/wire wheels set-ups they have used to get the near perfect appearance of a genuine 250? Also, any thoughts on the V12? Really keen to here from anyone in Oz who has a 240Z/250GTO up and running.

Re: Researching a 240Z - 250GTO project

the jag v12 from the 70s is fairly unreliable, and the materials used in the connector and other electrical components oxidized after about 3 years rendering the cars useless. however there are good running ones and they should be ok in the long run.
    the v12 is heavy, so acceleration and handling might not be the best in a car that weighs 2800lb if i remember right.

you might want to consider buying one of those junkers, and making a new tube chassis and suspension to fit the body while using steering and other such components from the 2XX Z car. you would use the seats, glass, and many other parts while retaining a brand new chassis and a very light car overall. in this case you could use any drivetrain in there, including a v8 v12 or whatever else you may want.
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

I have a partially restored 1970 240z that I was going to complete but other projects have taken precedence. When I was researching this idea, the Datsun guys always said to take a turbo motor out of a ZX and strip all of the emissions crap off of it and back it with a late model 5-speed in place of the Z-car 4-speed. Then put a 4:10 gear in the rear out of a 200SX and you have a screamer street beast with all Nissan parts.

Thanks - good feedback. My technical and space resources are a bit limited so the idea of a new chassis is a bit daunting. I'm just trying to get the basics done first, i.e. buy a car and have the bodywork done. The V12 is a far-off phase II idea but I was interested in the weight comment. I thought they were aluminium blocks and might weigh around the same as a V8. I suspect they wouldn't have the torque of a V8 but as I don't want to overly stress the wire wheels I thought a V12 might be suitable. This is a retirement project (it appeals to me more than golf) so I'm not looking for out and out performance.

do a search for my posts on a gto on here, also join a web forum i'am on www.zclub.co.uk i have a long running post about gto's.
    www.scorpionzcars.com has the best kit i have seen, if you want wire wheels then mg /triumph wire wheels fit, i had a qoute to make exact replica gto wire wheels www.mws.co.uk they were 545 each wheel!!

Last I heard, a Jag v12 engine+tranny total around 520lb, very heavy. I believe they are steel and not aluminum.

Look for a local metalshop and ask how much a simple chassis would cost to make, it would probably cost about the same as repairing a junky Z car with aftermaket panels.
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

BMW V12 is not an easy one - but our car is proof it can be done..
    Power is okay.. only issue generally is coming up with the money to do it.
    We set ours pretty low and far back - with a stock wheelbase and firewall it HAS to be converted to dry sump though
    http://members.core.com/~sysadmin/pe...nginetest1.jpg
    http://members.core.com/~sysadmin/pe...atpaint012.jpg

Chelle

I should have posted a couple pics of the "finished" project... as if anything is ever "finished"
    Actually there's quite a bit to finish this season .... but it's coming along
    Chelle

looks great ;D

Thanx... it's been a long process, but well worth the effort.
    We stretched the nose a few inches to make it more accurate and reduced the size of the hood opening. It's got a 6 speed and has been switched to RHD, just to be different Also we used a Scorpionz trunk kit.
    Fun, but doing our own work it has been a pretty affordable conversion
    We started with an old Alpha1 GTO that we have been driving a few years and pretty much modified every panel. Attention to detain was key. There are a lot of things on our car you don't see on any other GTO replicas. The vents in the rear 1/4 are metal and functional, the three openings below the grill are present, trap door on the nose between the hood and grill is there and functional.

Here's the extra details I'm talking about

We still are fabricating a lot, the aluminum work in the trunk I literally finished last night. I still am working on many other details. We made headlight covers still trying to locate the doorhandles.
    It just takes time and money. We restored an old lamborghini and this was a lot more work. But I kinda like this car more than the Lambo
    You can see the lambo here:
    http://members.core.com/~sysadmin/pe...aco/lambo.html
    Chelle