Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: just started the 355 kit

just started the 355 kit

hey guys, i just was wondering if you could help me with a few things?? i am starting my 355 kit and i have no idea as where to start?? i figured i could start off by centering the hood and working from there?? what did you guys start off as a starting point??? i do alot of body work i just don't know what the best starting point is??

thanks for you help guys

Mike
    You know life is sad when you get excited on finding a full can of bondo in your garage!

Re: just started the 355 kit

sorry, just another thing i was wondering... do you usually have to angle your rad down a bit for the hood to clear, and also where your old headlights from a stock fiero are, do you have to cut out the bucket area for the new headlights to fit?? if so how much cutting is required?

thanks again

Mike
    You know life is sad when you get excited on finding a full can of bondo in your garage!

Hello, I had to alter the radiator ablge for a few inches, it is really easy and gives you needed clearance. is your 355 a stretch kit ???? I would start by doing as much chassis prep with all the body panels off that I could

just my 2 cents

Stuart

do you have to move the electrical connecter for the fan at all?? looks like the stabelizer bar ( i think thats it) is in the way is i tilt the fan anymore?

i have the streatched kit, and all the fiero panels are removed and i figured that if i have the front mounted and the doors i can get a good feel as to measurement for the streatch.

this was going to be my next question though, but where do you make the cuts to streatch the frame?? and generally speaking but what is the streatch usually?? or would i be better of leaving the frame and shorten the kit??

thanks

Mike

3" stretch. Different methods are well documented here in the Tech section. Start with the chassis mods before moving to the body. Look up Funnywheels' build threads. Don has gone a different route on his chassis. It's well documented.

Bob
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

I started with the door then front end and onto the rear. You mentioned a 3 inch stretch. Who made the kit you are building etc.

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

yeah, the only thing is though is that the lowers on the front quarter planels are warped, i also figured out that it is not a stretch kit. i place the rear on and the wheel wells are ligned up and it is not really impeading on the doors. i don't know who makes the kit? i bought it off somebody on the mall section. would it be bad to put the rear on first and work forward?? seeing that it isn't a stretch? and the rear isn't warped at all?

thanks
    Mike

That is what I did..

I started with the rear section and alligned it centered it and then attached. moved onto the doors and then the front clip.
    you'll need to fab brackets and bracing to hold things where they need to be. the gap between the front fenders and doors
    will most likely need to be fixed. it is also possible the bumper and fenders may need to be seperated allowing the rear of the bumper to tip down and straighten the body lines.. if this is an older kit you will have to do this...

Don't be affraid to cut and fix the flaws in the body.. "there are plenty" but correcting them now will be much better than
    spending the time and money to have it painted and then regret what it looks like. If you need any help or have questions be sure to post them.. I along many others are very willing to help.

David
    Just smart enough to be very Dangerous

I agree with David although he used one of John Watsons kits. That is why I suggested a rough fit with the doors as a starting point. If you have the door skin bolted on the car then drop on the rear clip, you will be able to tell where the brackets should fit on the Fiero. I mounted the rear clip to the existing Fiero bumper support in the rear so it could be adjusted here and there. Just a few risers and an angle iron will do the trick there.

There are enough of us on here to talk you through it.

Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

thanks for the reply guys. i am going to try that then.... i will post a pic of the other question i have but maybe you guys know what i am talking about?? i'll try to explain it as best as i can... on the fiero door (when it's all stripped) did you guys have to trim some of the metal off of the top corner in order for it not to hit the rear quarter section?? this probably doesn't make sense but i will post a pic tonight when i get home from work.

thanks for the help guys

Mike