Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MAZDA RX-8 TO MRF 360 - WOULD IT WORK? PRO'S AND CONS...

MAZDA RX-8 TO MRF 360 - WOULD IT WORK? PRO'S AND CONS...

PLEASE READ...

I have never really been a Mazda fan, but the Idea of having a Renesis Rotary Turbine Engine operating at 238 HP at 8,500 RPM (MAX 9000) with the MRF-360 Body Kit is starting to sound quite intriguing. Does anyone think it would work?

Also the Car Seems Comfortable and the Wheel base and Dimensions are practically the same as the "MR2" and The Real "360". I really believed that the Toyota MR2 was the way to go, but recently as I have gotten serious the MR2 Just seems cramped and the engine is weak. I am not going to be racing 18yr olds but I would like for the engine to sound like an engine.

The New Generation of Renesis I hear is Solid and Runs Like a Champion, and has a large supportive community based following and it is inexpensive to repair and easliy modified. They say it does burn oil and averages +/-18mpg but I think that is minor. Also the most important factor is that the Mazda has great resale value.

One of the major cons is that the Maxda RX-8 is about $10,000 more than a MR2 with comparable mileage.

More Body Photos http://www.srmotorsports.com/srourcar.html

Re: MAZDA RX-8 TO MRF 360 - WOULD IT WORK? PRO'S AND CONS...

the good:
    -nice power and rev band
    -engine is tiny, about the size of a watermelon, and very light

the bad:
    -price
    -need to shop off the top for spider, or for modena, need to chop off top and reweld it in different place (both sacrifice safety)
    -engine in front
    -dimensions are not the same in any way (too high is most spots, not wide enough, etc)
    -very expensive repairs or spare parts

i would look inot the 3rd gen RX7 with the cosmo enigne, 3 rotor twin turbo 240hp to 290hp, tuned can go easily to 550hp
    either way its 2 seats and alot cheaper.
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

I understand what you are saying, and moving to the RX-7 could "DEFINATELY" be an option but the RX-7 engine ony gets you about a good 70,000 miles. before you need to replace it. The RX-8 is much finer tuned and you can theoretically get 170,000 miles from the engine before it needs rebuilding. The RX-8's are pretty new and no one has had one for that long, so you may possibly get more mileage from the engine.

So what I am saying here is, if I decide to resell the car, if the ad mentions that the engine has been "rebuilt" it may turn some people off. But... The RX-7's are more modifiable.

Do you think that a bar can be welded across the back seat to give the tale some added stability?

its not the stability that worries me (and it would shake like crazy, possibly shatter the FG body), but if yu did roll over, the entire top would collapse onto your head. You can't just weld a roof back tonto a unibody car at any spot like a fiero, since the chassis is designed to hold itself only in one layout.
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

But you havent answered my question! ;D

If given the opportunity to buy a MRF360 placed on a MAZDA RX-8 based Chasis, or A TOYOTA MR-2 based Chasis, Assuming that they both are equally stable which would you take?

I would get the MR2 one, but I wouldn't want the Spyder (1999+) just because of performance and spare parts costs.

See thats what I am thinking, but the MRF360 is fitted for the 1999 - Newer.* The Newer MR2 SPYDER, on what I have been reading, is just not that good of a car.

But the 1999 or newer is the only choice for us here in the USA, but maybe after the first kit is driving, I can mess around a little bit on the second. I dont want to screw the first one up and be out 25K, just for the Kit and Shipping, In the words of Donald Trump, "THATS ALOT OF MONEY".

I am going to call up MRF-360 today and see if they think that they can make this work on the Mazda RX-8 or RX-7 (their Fitting service is just $2500) maybe they will not want to interupt production to try something like this out. From a business stand pointThe people that love the Mazda RX-8 and the Rotary Engine just cannot be ignored. Also the resale value is just High. That just translates into me beingable to sell the finished kit for a small profit over what I put into it, then I can do it again.

I'm not sure the RX8 360 would have a high resale value. probably lower than the MR2. front engined replicas of rear mounted engined ferraris usually sell for cheap just because of that...

Quote Originally Posted by AutoMX
    I'm not sure the RX8 360 would have a high resale value. probably lower than the MR2. front engined replicas of rear mounted engined ferraris usually sell for cheap just because of that...
    Interesting... I was Unaware of that. But on the other hand I don't plan on passing it off as the real thing anyway. There was a real Ferrari Group where one of the Ferrari guys was trying to Flame on a guy for driving the Replica and 95% of the Real ferrari owners told the guy to "SHUT THE "F" UP, AND LET THE GUY ENJOY HIS CAR" the rotary engine will provide for some great talking over a couple of beers.
    http://www.yawpower.com/renespic.html
    http://autoweb.drive.com.au/cms/news...doc=maz0310282
    http://www.rotaryengineillustrated.com/renesis.php\
    http://www.autospectator.com/modules...hp?storyid=302
    http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/disp...neRenesis#news

The MR2 SPYDER on the other hand, well :-\..... I'm not sure maybe a cool here and their.

That is one reason why I really want to do two kits... Just for Clarification I do not mean backyard builds, where I am working on it for 2 years borrowing my neighbors tools and using "Duck Tape" to make pieces fit. I mean more professional builds, where their is a high level of expectation and professionalism as well as Liability and Reliability. I don't want some guy running off with my kit and his whole shop in two days, and all of his numbers disconnected.