Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Generate drawings from photo ?

Generate drawings from photo ?

Hello all......

I wondering is there is a way to generate drawings of a vehicle from a photo using a pc? I did find one software package, but it was several thousand dollars.

I'm sure I am not the first person that has wondered how to do something like this.... any suggestions welcomed ! ;D

Re: Generate drawings from photo ?

it's not possible to do it right, you will always get incorrect blueprints since perspective screws you over :'(
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

Exact..no. But you can get close if you have a number of different views and something to reference your dimensions from. If you only have one pic, forget it.

Bob
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

Back in my Graphic Designing days I would use 1 of 2 programs, these programs have the ability to take very complex photos and convert them into clean fully editable line art. The best part is is that you can download trials versions of the software.

1.) Macromedia Freehand - Autotrace Tool
    2.) Adobe Stramline - Scan and Convert

I became an expert at adjusting the tolerances just right so that I could get the best line art possible, I would give you an example but I just do not have time to do it. I knew a girl that worked at Disney in Burbank and she could not hold a candle to my converting abilities.

Goto macromedia.com and Adobe.com and download the trial versions of the respective software. Good Luck.

There are also some ways to do this in photoshop but they are quite complex and I dont have the time to explain them.

here is a tutorial i found for cartooning. it works off of the photoshop program. photoshop takes some getting used. these tutorials are a huge help. here you go, http://www.digimods.co.uk/tutorials/tutorials.htm

good luck

Quote Originally Posted by PiMPaLiCiouS
    Back in my Graphic Designing days I would use 1 of 2 programs, these programs have the ability to take very complex photos and convert them into clean fully editable line art. The best part is is that you can download trials versions of the software.

1.) Macromedia Freehand - Autotrace Tool
    2.) Adobe Stramline - Scan and Convert

I became an expert at adjusting the tolerances just right so that I could get the best line art possible, I would give you an example but I just do not have time to do it. I knew a girl that worked at Disney in Burbank and she could not hold a candle to my converting abilities.

Goto macromedia.com and Adobe.com and download the trial versions of the respective software. Good Luck.

There are also some ways to do this in photoshop but they are quite complex and I dont have the time to explain them.
    Thx.... I did not expect it to be easy, I just wanted to know if it was doable... if it get me "close enough" then thats where I want to be.... details can be worked out from other sources and observation. But the general shape is what I need.

Thanks again...

Quote Originally Posted by thunderzy
    here is a tutorial i found for cartooning. it works off of the photoshop program. photoshop takes some getting used. these tutorials are a huge help. here you go, http://www.digimods.co.uk/tutorials/tutorials.htm

good luck
    Great site... it is bookmarked ! ;D

Another thought......... If I have a scale model of a vehicle, is it possible to generate some sort of drawings from the model ?

Yes... Take a photo and scan it, if digital download it and use one of the above mentioned tools to trace it.

I worked for a major aircraft manufacturing company a few years back. I use to design stripe layouts for the single engine aircraft, and private jets. If you are just going to use this line drawing for layout, and design studies, a single photograph is more than adequate. It is important to stand back as far as possible, and do your best to get as straight on as you can, (ie, directly in the center of the car and parallel to the hood line. This takes away most of the perspective distortion. Import your photo, and trace. We used CorelDraw, and it works very well (~$500?). It is not a very stable program, and has a few bugs, but it is very easy to use and cheap. Adobe illustrator is another program that is similar in principle.

When taking the picture remember to get far far away, zoom in all the way. You can crop out the excess background later. Use a contrasting background, and pay attention to shadows. Early morning or late evening light gives you the best contrast. Remember if you have a good photo to start with, it is alot easier.

Hurra