Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brake Upgrade

Brake Upgrade

I thought I would start a new post about my brake upgrade as I don't want it buried in the build thread as I think it might be a good discussion.*

I have gone with the base of the Berretta 11.25" upgrade and I have modified it somewhat to fit better with what I wanted for the car.* Maybe I am reinventing the wheel on this and everyone does this already but I did not get the impression when doing the research so here goes.* If everyone already knows this, then tell me and I will not waste anyone's, including mine, in getting more posts and pics for everyone to see what I have engineered.

Most 11.25" rotor upgrades use the Berretta rear rotors all round and use Camaro front calipers and Seville rear calipers.* I have the same caliper setup but I have used the front rotors from the Berretta for the front and the rear for the rear.* The reason for the front rotors is that the fronts are so much bigger braking surface and really have a nicer look to them than the rear rotors.* The rears, I find have the larger centre hub piece that allows for the Beretta e-brake but has a smaller braking surface for it.* I like the look of the front rotors for the front on my car.

One other thing I did not like about the way the 11.25" brake upgrade goes on the rears is that the calipers are turned over so the bleed screw is at the bottom of the caliper.* This is so that when fitting the Fiero's cables, they are in the same position as stock on the bottom of the caliper pulling to the rear.* Everyone says that the Seville pulls to the front when in a Seville.* I don't know as I have never seen one, but fitting on the Fiero hubs to pull the stock Fiero direction would mean you have to turn them over and need to take them off to bleed the brakes and then fit them again.*

I want it all on my car so I have used the rear Seville calipers on their proper sides and the brake pulls come from the top of the caliper and still pulls in the right direction to the rear.* Seville's must have the calipers at the rear of the rotor as everything set up pretty easily so the Fiero having the opposite side of the rotor for the brake worked out quite well.

Rears:

I have put the original Seville brake spring mounting hardware on to the calipers but they sit at the top of the caliper and face rearward rather than on the bottom of the caliper as stock Fiero's do.* Pics below shows the mounting.

I fit some stock Fiero brake cables in to see and as expected, they were about 6" short in this setup with wide track suspension.* So, the logical thing to do was to make some custom length cables for this setup.

I bought new '92 Camaro right and left e-brake cables and they are WAY Long.* Stock Fiero is about 33" and the Camaro is about 53" long.* Running in the stock Fiero locations wherever possible, the stock Camaro e-brake cables will be too long.*

I cut the pressure fitted stop off on end of the cable and then cut the extra cable sheathing off to to length I wanted.* About 6" longer than stock Fiero.* I took the retaining clip on the cut off piece of sheathing off (surprisingly easy as it just more or less slipped off) and then it slipped back on the new length of cable.* I now just have to go get a new pressure fitted stop pressed back on at the right length and I now have proper length brake cables for my setup.* It only took about 1 hour to fit, measure and cut the cables to the right length so it is not a hard job at all.

The only bad part of this whole setup, not insurmountable, but a bit more work, is that the stock Fiero e-brake setup has an adjuster at the junction of all three cables and the stock Camaro does not.* I have designed a replacement adjuster screw setup to attach to the left cable but I just have to build it tomorrow morning.* Pics attached of what I am going to do. Again, very easy but just a bit more work.

Should have everything fully attached and functioning tomorrow for the rears.

Fronts:

The fronts was a bit more finessing than the rears.* The front rotors put the rotor out about 1" from where the upgrade instructions fit it.* To accommodate that difference, i had a set of aluminum kidneys built to me design by a local machine shop.* I had a set of kidneys to start and then I just used a Dremel tool to cut into all the various areas needed to make the plug.* the machine shop is going to clean up my dremel work and make the other kidney the same as I don't want to do that again.

Pics attached of what I did.* I will get a full pic of the setup once I get the kidneys back, hopefully tomorrow.

One other bonus is that with the front rotor being further out, it allowed me to retain the full dust shield from the Fiero with only a small modification.* You need to flatten out the outer edge that normally curves in so it misses the larger diameter rotor.* 20 minutes of hammering flat on an anvil and paint and we were good to go.

Pics attached as well of dust shield.

I'll post now before I lose this long post and get the pics up in a minute.
    Don
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Re: Brake Upgrade

More pics.
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

More
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Front Hubs and dust cover so far.
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

More front
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

After flattening
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Excellent Don. Love these threads of yours. For the brake cables...Could you use the cables off another car, say the Berretta, to get a closer length, or did you bother to look into it?

Bob
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

Great work Don.. Thats one thing about you is that we all know if you're doing it it'll be done right and it has been thought out. Its really starting to come together. Great details on the pics too... keep it up!

Just smart enough to be very Dangerous

hey nice work don, if i paid you would you make me a complete assembly, control arms brakes etc?
    http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=5/14115334210.jpg&s=x4

Interesting. I was just through about 3/4 of a large reply post and my whole computer just decided to reboot. Windows just never ceases to amaze me.

Anyway, a much shorter reply now to come.

Bob;

I ended up using Berretta cables which are about 48" and cut them down to the 39-40" I needed. I now just need to press fit the end stops back on in the new position. Found a place to do it today but need to supply them the ends. I will be drilling out my old ends and using those tomorrow.

MAD;

Sorry but I don't have time to do setups for others as well as liability issues keep me away as well. Suspension is something I am only willing to put myself in harms way with my designs rather than others. My family will not be riding in the car until I have a chance to fully test out my designs in controlled conditions, like a parking lot etc. to make sure I haven't messed something up.

I have, however, posted pretty much everything needed for others to design and build their own front and rear suspension systems from my threads. I am also very willing to talk to anyone that wants to venture down that road and has questions. Just email me or call me and we can chat. If there is more info needed, I can post that for everyone as well.

Front suspension goes back together for good this aft and evening and will just wait for the kidneys to be done by the end of the week for the front brakes. Once that is done, I am going to finish my version of the convertible top and get that all posted for everyone. The ideas in my head feel brilliant right now for it but lets see how it actually works trying to get them to work. After that, I am back into the final fibreglassing and body work to get this beast ready for paint.

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV