Thread: Rear Bumpers for the kits

Rear Bumpers for the kits

I am getting ready to finish up some minor welding and fabrication in preparation for final mounting of the body panels and I am looking for what ideas are out there for the rear bumper.

I plan to make up a front skirt like EEExotic's setup and incorporate some heavier steel for an impact capability but I am stuck on what to do on the rear end.

I took my rear bumper and low milage impact plastic off my car when taking it apart as the location of the rear bumper did not match up with the kit bumper location.

I have seen some pics where it looks like some people have just left the rear bumper in place and everything fits around it. I am pretty sure this is on AD cars only as I don't think the IFG knockoffs will work the same way.

Any ideas on what can be used if my fitting of the rear bumper from the Fiero does not work? Would 2x2" thick walled square tubing attached to where the original bumper went pass safety checks do you think?

Thanks
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Re: Rear Bumpers for the kits

Don..
    I am glad you are builder a rear bumper too. i know allot of people don't think about any type of reinforcment in the rear.
    I used 2x2 x 1/8 wall thickness sq tube. and doubled it up. so i have one peice that is 2" deep and 4" high. i then used 3" sq tube and pressed it into the chassis rails in the rear. its tight but it'll fit. there are oval notches cut into the chassis rails that make good welding pionts after the 3" sq tube is inserted into the rails. its totally over kill but I'd rather have that than not enough.
    I after the rear body section is in place I drived and taped two bolt into the steel bumper, just behind where the license plate will be. so its all hidden. i then finished the empty space between the steel bumper and the fiberglass with a can of expanding foam. I filled up and around everything. even up into the tail light area. just trimmed it away after it dries. With the IFG kits its quite abit different than the AD kits.. the is bumper setup I build is very strong and completley concealed. i wish I could take pics to show you better. if you need anything else please let me know.
    David
    Just smart enough to be very Dangerous

David;

That is an excellent explanation. I understand how you did it and will do the same. I just happen to have some 2x2 laying around I did not use for other reinforcing.

Thanks very much
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Don:

I used the Fiero bumper superstructure with an angle positioned to float under the fiberglass to hold the bumper/rear body clip in position. To secure the bumper/rear clip to the Fiero chassis, I used a series of "L" brackets mounted to the Fiero sub bumper then attached to the body behind the tail light panel. I am not sure if you have one of the superstructures behind your tail light panel or not but it would be easy to fabricate.

Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

The angles attach to the tail light sub panel and to the Fiero sub-bumper.

I also made a strap that went out to the rear fenders where the bumper attached to the body like the OEM 355
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Thanks Dave;

I put all the panels back on the car this afternoon/evening and had a look at the rear section. I don't think there will be enough room to use the Fiero bumper as the fiberglass is right up near the Fiero trunk.

I think I am going to use David's option where I fit a couple 2x2's in place where the rear kit bumper is sitting and attach to the frame.

Thanks for the options guys.

Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV