Thread: What to use for brake light in 355 replica?

What to use for brake light in 355 replica?

My kit car has no provision for a brake light so I'm going to have to cut out of the fibreglass to make one myself - what brakelights did you use on your 355 replica? I would like the LED style I'm thinking, anyone have any specs on the real 355 break light?

Re: What to use for brake light in 355 replica?

cant help you on 3rd brakelite. I personnally dont like them. But on the same topic, has anyone else wired up their tail lites correctly or cheated and let both bulbs (amber & red) just work together. I guess im anal, i wired the amber to only work with turn signal, tail and brake only with red.

I haven't touched the rear wiring harness yet so I can't help you - What type of tail lights are you using? Do you have four tail lights with white centre circles or just two?

I rewired them like that a couple years ago. I have european style on my GTO - amber outside, red inside, no back ups. I used original Ferrari.

Although mine are not in the car yet, I have original Ferrari lights (all around) and with some testing, the tabs are quickly identified as to which does what. From there, modify the Fiero harness to do what you need.

As for the opening, my kit's tail opening were just a bit to small. I had to widen them out some to fit the EOM 355 lenses and housings. In "most" kit appliations, you just paint the inside of the light depression with Silver, drill a hole, run the bulb through and sheet screw the faux lens in place.

With my kit, having to open up the area a bit, it might as well have been cutting a completely new hole, as it appears Ari may have to do.

Careful attention to the cutting location and spacing is important of course. From there, using an OEM lamp assembly, you can just mount the lamp to a plate that is glassed in behind the opening or glass in mounting bolts to the inside of the body, bolt the lights to the plate, then bolt the combined assembly to the new mounting bolts using a set of Nylock nuts (which is how mine are going in). That way, if needed, you can remove the lights, the lenses, the bulbs or the entire assembly!

I have also hear of guys cutting the hole and just glassing in the entire lamp!!! What are you going to do if a Bulb burns out!?!?? Doesn't make much sense to me.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth

DKOV -

I found it best to use a sub frame under a replica or OEM rear tail light panel. OEM lights are the way to go. The ones with a back up light are about 185 each and the ones without are a little more exensive for some reason @ 225. The wiring harness to put them together is part number DIS 182208 to plug them together. The part has a plug for each light, need one per side. Made by Delphi Italia Automotive Systems. You only have to unwire one plug in to lace it into a Fiero, then all works as designed.

If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

You can buy this LED bar from JC Whitney for about $20. Its about 1.5" longer than OE.

My Koenig has an amber & red each side with a strip of LED's cut into the center of the wing. (see pic below) The brake option lights all (2 1157's each amber, red, & center LED). The running lights are all 1157s' (other side). The turning lamps are just the ambers (they interrup normal brake 1157s in the ambers). Ari, the LED strip are sold in alot of electrical/ autoparts/ ebay, around $20. The placement was easy for mine(wing), yours, maybe rear roof line?? I tried LED's in place of the 1157s, bad move!!! Terrible, low powered, but maybe it was because I purchased the APC replacement.
    Sandy