Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need fiberglass info help...scratch-building fenders and doors....

Need fiberglass info help...scratch-building fenders and doors....

Hey guys,

I'm completely new to the kit car thing, but I have had this idea for the last six years or so to build a particular car on a Fiero platform. Only problem is that no one makes a kit for the body I want to use, and so I will have to make my own. I've worked out the measurements all right, but I have no clue how to properly scratch build large panels like fenders and doors out of fiberglass. Has anyone here done that before, or know anything about it?

Re: Need fiberglass info help...scratch-building fenders and doors....

HI all,

I haven't used this site at all yet....I will someday...! But I've been told anything from books, tools, and mold making can be found here at the site listed below......

link: http://www.fiberglast.com

Me, I sell engines, the cars are free.&nbsp; I need something to crate the engines in.... Enzo Ferrari......<br />Today they are called garage&#039;s, yesterday, they were stable&#039;s.&nbsp; Eric Jacobsen...

you might have some luck calling steve from Triangle G, he makes the plugs for TG. (google them up if you don't know the company)
    818-769-1624 Steve Terteryan

i'm currently scratch building a lip for my mr2. you really need a good workflow to get things done quickly and well. if you use foam to build the shape of the parts, remember to bondo them beofre applying a coat of fiberglass and resin to protect the foam since the resin melts the foam otherwise. you also want to make molds then parts from the molds. you can technically take out the plug materials from the inside out like i am, but the parts wont be very strong (i'm taking molds when im done anyway).
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

Here a couple of the links I've accumulated in my quest for fiberglass knowledge:

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/066156-2.html
    http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/048701.html
    http://ahru.co.jp/usercar/index2.htm

I have more, really depending on what you want to do, whether creating a one-off parts or creating molds. The two Pennocks links show two different methods used to create panels.

AutoMX: Bondo will also melt foam, just to a lesser degree. Coat the foam in Kilz latex primer or Shellac first.
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

Can anyone tell me where i can get my hands on some fiberglass materials etc. in Ontario, CANADA other than Canadian tire.....

maybe it's the type of foam i used bacause the bonbo isnt melting it at all (pink stuff from home depot). i'm also using a very thin coat just to protect the foam from the resin. either way it works for me but it's better to go the safe way (i'm practically done with my plug so it doesnt matter anymore). thanks for the tip.
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

Quote Originally Posted by yk911
    Can anyone tell me where i can get my hands on some fiberglass materials etc. in Ontario, CANADA other than Canadian tire.....
    in the east end of Toronto Rayplex 905 579-1433 ..down on the Queensway at Keele Street north east side ...forget the name...Fiberglass Center is another 401 and Martingrove 416-225-0521

I'm still in the process of carving my plug, however did you tried boat manufacturing places. There is a boat sales place at 401 and Rutheforth in Woodbridge near Wonderland. There is also a boat factory in Niagara-on-the-Late of off Four Mile Creek Road, sorry I don't have exact address. I'll see i I can get more information from them this weekend when I'm there. I need to find source my self for urethane foam for less then $200 a gallon .

Thanks Turmite, with the exchange, shipping charges and duty it will be much less expensive