Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 355 Hardtop rear glass (possible)?

355 Hardtop rear glass (possible)?

I bought Dave Held's 355 hardtop. I have the real Ferrari side glass and was wondering how I would go about installing the MR-2 rear glass. Is this possible? Are there other alternatives? It is based on a Fiero chassis. Not sure who's body kit is on it. Take care. Bill

Re: 355 Hardtop rear glass (possible)?

the quarter windows and curved rear window will cost about $150 for the 1991 to 1998 MR2. it's all glass and has the heater on the curved glass. that's for sure, how and whether it will fit is a good question. i can ask some people to measure the glass and curve to tell you how wide it is. it would be quite a useless to buy it to find out it cant fit.
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

My first 355 kit was the same as Daves car. It was an IFG cloned car. It was not designed to accept the MR2 glass directly. My car had a template that was to be cut out of scratch resistant plexiglass.

Ron Larson does the same with his kits, he has a nice plex piece and paints the inside of the edges with a black epoxy so you can not see the mounting glue, and it gives it a clean appearance. You know about Ron though :-\.

I'm sure you could modify the rear window area to accept the MR2, John Watson's kits use the MR2. I would use the plexiglass though. It is lighter, easier,* and cheaper to install.
    5 out of 4 people are not good at fractions

i would say lexan, since it's UV resistant, very heat resistant, hard to scratch, and impact proof. it will be harder to form into the right shape though (more heat needed)
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

Quote Originally Posted by AutoMX
    i would say lexan, since it's UV resistant, very heat resistant, hard to scratch, and impact proof. it will be harder to form into the right shape though (more heat needed)
    You are correct on that one. Maybe it was Lexan that Ron used. I know the old lexan window kit I had in a mustang drag car was really scratch resistant. It almost felt like it was waxed really good all of the time.
    5 out of 4 people are not good at fractions

If someone on the board knows where I can purchase a Lexan rear window for my 355 kit please let me know. I would like have it made with shaded/ tinted Lexan. Take care. Bill

There is a lexan salvage dealer in Clearwater, Florida on 49th Street. When I get back in town I will drive over and get the address and phone number for you. I made a lexan rear window for my Mirage kit in 1998. It was easy to do, the material for a 4 X 8 sheet was under $50. The heat gun to shape the curve cost more than the material. It was "Smoke" colored. I just made a cardboard templeate that fit the car then transferred it to the lexan. There is a universal weather strip used on truck and van windows that I used to hold it in place. No leaks and no rattles.

Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Well I had one of the guys working on my commercial building (a carpenter) make a Lexan rear window and front headlight covers. It really looks good. I will post some pictures after the rain slows down here. Take care. Bill

Front headlight covers

Rear Lexan, I know the SS Screws need to be painted black, it's still raining here. Take care. Bill