Thread: towing with a car dolley???

towing with a car dolley???

Hey guys, im dropping my new chassis for my 355 off and hour and a half from where i live..
    i can rent a car dolley for $45 wich is a good price, but i have a question...
    is it bad to two a car on a car dolley...??? or should it be fine ???
    i cause the front wheels will be rolling it shouldnt affect the bearings or anything should it???
    http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=5/14115334210.jpg&s=x4

Re: towing with a car dolley???

Mike.. You'll be fine, its just coasting. that was a quick sale.. good job!

David
    Just smart enough to be very Dangerous

when towing with a dolly is rear wheel drive a problem???
    can i use a dolly for my fiero???
    http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=5/14115334210.jpg&s=x4

From what I've been told (and I am by no means an expert on anything!) your supposed to raise the back of the fiero on the dolly and have the front wheels on the ground, not only because of the transmission but also because the majority of the weight is in the back of a fiero.

This too is unsafe though as your steering wheel lock wasn't designed for this sort of thing. When I had my fiero towed by a tow truck, the driver used dollies under the front wheels of the car and put the rear wheels on the back of his truck. He then secured the steering wheel using the driver's seat belt.

I towed my car with a dolley from Cocoa Beach Florida to Albany Georgia (375 miles),
    I had to tow it facing forward,
    I think it was too wide to tow backwards...
    or front was too low going backwards, something like that.*
    Anyway, It drove fine like that, It had the V8 with manual transmission.
    Just put her in neutral and she did fine.

Towing a vehicle on the "Idle" wheels is no problem.. and keeping the drive wheels on the dolly, If it is manual then you can simply take it out of gear and it can be towed any direction.. if the vehicle is an Automatic taking it out of parked and allowing the transmision to turn will burn up the cluthes....the problem is its not turning the pump so not enough fluid is being circulated.. people still tow automatic cars and some times it has no effect but usually you'll fry it.. just tow it from the rear. ;D

good luck
    Just smart enough to be very Dangerous

Quote Originally Posted by EEExotic
    if the vehicle is an Automatic taking it out of parked and allowing the transmision to turn will burn up the cluthes....the problem is its not turning the pump so not enough fluid is being circulated.. people still tow automatic cars and some times it has no effect but usually you'll fry it..
    I have heard the same. In fact, Uhaul will not allow you to rent a dolly if you are towing a rear wheel drive car. They also suggest if you have to, to remove the axle shafts so only the wheels and hubs are spinning, not the automatic internals.
    5 out of 4 people are not good at fractions